Minutes of the Annual General Meeting held at 9.00pm on Tuesday 15th May 2012, in the Manor
Suite, Tankersley Manor Hotel, Barnsley. The meeting was preceded by an excellent talk entitled
‘Sex and the Tudors’ given by Lesley Smith, Curator of Tutbury Castle in Staffordshire and an
Elizabethan women’s historian. Lesley was dressed as Mary Queen of Scots and there is a lovely
photograph of us all on the Sheffield Faculty website under News.
1. Present: Drs Angier, Brittain, Campbell (Chair), Buchanan, Ekdawy, Hubbard, Kasaraneni,
Lee, Moss, Neal, Oughton, Ologun, Polkinghorn, Rowell, Shum, Vicary and Bob Burgin our
new lay representative.
In attendance: Marilyn Lidster – Administrator and Mrs Michelle Polkinghorn
2. Apologies for absence: Drs Bhatia, Pohl, Platts and retrospectively Dr Janet Hall.
3. Minutes of the 2011 AGM: These had been placed on the website previously and available
at the meeting. They were approved as a correct record.
4. Matters arising: There were no matters arising.
5. Annual report of the Faculty Board: This had been prepared by Dr Elizabeth Angier and
the Provost thanked her for preparing this report and said it was an excellent summary of the
6. Annual Finance Statement: The annual accounts were presented to the meeting. Marilyn
reported that the Faculty finances were sound.
7. Election of Provost of the Faculty: Dr Polkinghorn was elected as Provost to succeed
Anita Campbell. He would also chair the Faculty Fellowship Committee recognising the
importance of Fellowship of the College. Marilyn was presented with a wonderful bouquet
of flowers from Dr Campbell as this would be her last AGM after twenty three years of
service to the College.
8. Election of Council Representative and Deputy: It was unanimously agreed that Dr Janet
Hall would continue as our Representative on Council and Dr Ivan Appelqvist would be our
Deputy Representative. Dr Hall had done a good job over the past year and was prepared to
9. Election of Faculty Board: Barnsley. Drs Heyes had resigned, and Drs Appelqvist and
Mitchell will remain on the Board. There is one vacancy for the Barnsley area.
Rotherham Drs Polkinghorn, Andrew Lee and Gerda Pohl were re-elected to serve a further
Worksop Dr Jenny Stephenson to remain, there are therefore two vacancies for this area.
Chesterfield Dr Louise Moss and Dr Bhatia were re-elected for a further term leaving one
vacancy in this area.
Doncaster Dr Liz Angier, Faculty Chair was re-elected and Dr Ben Jackson to remain. Dr
Karena Platts had resigned and Dr Katharine Rowell would take the vacancy for Doncaster.
She would also continue as our First 5 representative.
Sheffield Drs Hall, Buchanan and Gallagher to remain. Drs Campbell and Smithson were re-
elected. This left one vacancy for the Sheffield area as Marilyn had been unable to contact
Dr Richard Hills. Dr Lucie Brittain would take the remaining vacancy as we need six
representatives for the Sheffield area.
Dr Claire Vicary had been co-opted earlier in the year to be our AiT representative but as she
was expecting a baby in the summer she would like to step down for the time being. We had
two volunteers to be AiT representatives. Dr Rachel Hubbard would be our AiT
representative and we would co-opt Dr Krishna Kasaraneni to the Faculty Board. Marilyn
pointed out that while the College Review was taking place, and Faculty Board
Constitutions had not been updated we were, within reason, allowed to manage the positions
on our own Board. We welcomed Bob Burgin as one of our new lay representatives. We had
also appointed David Briggs.
10. Presentation of the Kathy Phipps Memorial Prize: Diana Ekdawy treated us to an
excellent presentation of her audit while in her final year module in general practice on the
feverish child under five years of age. She suggested a template as a trigger to monitor
criteria and one of the practices represented said how a similar idea had prompted their
practice to change their management system which had resulted in a much higher percentage
rate of success. Dr Polkinghorn presented Diana with her prize.
11. Any other Business: Dr Polkinghorn once again thanked Marilyn for her many years of
service, including how helpful she had been to him during his time as Chairman of the
12. Date of next Annual General Meeting: Tuesday 14th May 2013