1 Zulhijjah 1432H / 28 October 2011
THE VIRTUES OF
KHATIB / IMAM
Ustaz Muhammad Ismail bin Mahmud
• I call upon myself and all of you, may Allah
bless you, let us be taqwa to Allah with the
true taqwa by doing all of His commands and
leaving His prohibitions. Hopefully we will
attain happiness in this life and the hereafter.
The title for today’s khutbah is “The Virtues of
• My brothers in Islam,
• We are now in the month of Zulhijjah, the
month of Hajj. This is the month which Allah
s.w.t has bestowed upon it the days of Arafah,
Eid Adha, and the Days of Tasyrik which are
the 3 days following Eid.
• This is a special month, a month which we are
encouraged to double our efforts in
performing our ibadah, our acts of worship,
our good deeds.
• If we have missed the opportunity to increase
our ibadah during the last Ramadan, or if we
have missed the opportunity to fast the six
days of Syawal, then let it be known, that right
now, spread in front of us, is a golden
• An opportunity to be closer to Allah. An
opportunity to increase our ibadah.
• This golden opportunity, my brothers, is the
first ten days of Zulhijjah.
• We are in the first day. We have nine days
ahead of us. So grab this opportunity it leaves
• Let us do more zikr. Let is do more solat and
sawm. Let us recite Al-Quran more.
• Allah says in surah Al-Fajr:
And by the ten days.
• According to most scholars, the ten days
mentioned in that ayat refer to the first ten
days of Zulhijjah.
• Allah s.w.t mentioned it and swear by it in that
ayat because of its virtues.
• This is strengthen by the hadith:
(The hadith was narrated by Bukhari and others)
• Which means:
There is no other days in which ibadah is
more loved by Allah then these ten days (that
is, of the month of Zulhijjah). The companions
asked him: O Rasulullah! Even better than
jihad in the cause of Allah? The Prophet s.a.w
replied: Yes, it is even better than jihad in the
cause of Allah, except if one goes out for jihad
with his life and his wealth, and he do not
return with both.
• So, my brothers in Islam, let us increase our
ibadah in these virtuous days. In another
hadith narrated by At-Tirmizi, Rasulullah s.a.w
• Which means:
There are no days in which ibadah is more
loved by Allah than the first ten days of
Zulhijjah. Fasting for a day in it is the same as
fasting for a year. And to do ibadah during its
nights, is the same as if doing in the night of
power, that is Lailatul Qadr.
• This hadith, my brothers, even though it is a
weak hadith, it still shows the virtue of these
ten days of Zulhijjah.
• Maybe fasting in it is not the same as fasting
for the whole year. Maybe getting up for
ibadah in its nights is not the same as getting
up for Lailatul Qadr.
• But, one thing for sure, the ibadah in these
days and nights is better than in other days
• So let us not waste this golden opportunity,
which comes but once in a year.
• An opportunity that is better than any offer on
Earth. If we look around, sometimes we would
see a petrol station offering a 15% discount.
• We would then see cars snaking out of that
petrol station. Everyone is trying to grab that
offer of just 15% discount.
• These 10 days of Zulhijjah offer a much better
offer. An offer that has its rewards waiting for
us in the Hereafter, the day when nothing will
be of value except those who had prepared
• A day which Allah describes in Al-Quran:
The day when wealth and children will be of no use,
except those who come with clean hearts.
My brothers in Islam,
• To achieve the advantages of this month,
Muslims are recommended to do deeds such
• First: Performing Haj and Umrah, which is the
• Second: Fasting during the day or according to
their ability, especially on the day of Arafah
that is on the 9th Muharram. Rasulullah s.a.w
said in a hadith:
"Fasting on the day of Arafat is I count Allah
SWT will forgive one year and the next year."
(Narrated by Muslim)
• Third: To increase takbeer and zikr.
Imam al-Bukhari RA narrated that Ibn 'Umar
and Abu Hurairah RA used to go out to the
market to say takbeer followed by the public
with the pronouncement “Allahu Akbar,
Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha Illa Allah, wa Allahu
Akbar, Allahu Akbar, wa LillahI Hamdu”.
• Fourth: Repent and leave all the evil and sin,
so that good deeds can achieve forgiveness
and mercy of Allah. This is because sin is the
cause for a servant to be far away from Allah's
mercy and obedience are the sources to be
close to Him and the love of Allah SWT.
• Fifth: To increase good deeds, especially
additional voluntary practices such as
voluntary prayers, charity, jihad, reading the
Quran, calling to goodness, prevent evil and
the like because everything will be doubled in
• Sixth: We are required to say takbeer on some
of the glorious days during the day or night,
especially after performing the five obligatory
daily prayers in congregation. For those who
do not perform the pilgrimage, voluntary
takbeer starts from dawn of Eidul Adha and
ends till Asar on the 13th of Zulhijjah.
• Seventh: It is highly encouraged to practice
the slaughtering of sacrificial animals on Eidul
Adha and days of Tasyriq (11, 12 and 13
Zulhijjah). It is the Sunnah of the Prophet of
Allah Ibrahim (AS) that after afflicting him with
the command to slaughter his son Ismail (AS),
Ibrahim was redeemed by being replacing
Ismail with an animal for slaughter.
بسم هللا الرحمن الرحيم
• By time, Indeed, mankind is in loss, except for
those who have believed and done righteous
deeds and advised each other to truth and
advised each other to patience.
َ َُْ ِ ْ
َبارك هللاُ لِىْ ولكم بالقُرْ ءان اَ ْلعظ ْيم و َنفعنيْ وإِيَّاكم ِبما فِ ْيه من
ِ َ ِ ْ َ ََِ َ ُْ َ ِ ِ َ َ َ
ِ َ ِّ ْ ِ َ ِ ِ َ َ َّ َ ِ ِّ َ ِ ُ ْ ِ َ ُ ُ َ َّ ِ ُ
ْاآلياَت والذكر اَ ْلحكيْم و َتقبل منيْ وم ْنكم تالو َته إ َِّنه هُو اَلسم ْيع
اَ ْلعلِ ْيم. أ ُ ْوص ْيكم ع َبادَ هللا وإِيَّاي ب َتقوى هللا فقد فاز اَ ْلمتقُ ْون,
َ َ ْ َ َ ُ َّ َ َ َ ِ َْ ِ ُْ ِ َ ُ
وأَحُثكم و َنفسىْ على طاعة هللا ورسُولِه فِىْ كل وقت لعلَّكم
ُ ِّ َ ْ ٍ َ َ ُ ْ َ ُّ ُ ْ َ ْ ِ َ َ َ َ ِ ِ َ َ ْ ِ
تفلِحُون , أَسْ َتغفِر هللا العظ ْيم ِليْ ولكم ولِسائر اَ ْلمُسْ لِميْن
ِ َ َ َُْ َ َ ِِ ْ ُ َ َْ ِ َ ُْ ْ َ
ِ َ ْ ْ ِِ َ َ ْ ْ ِ ِ َ ْ ْ َ َ َ
والمُسْ لِمات والمُؤمنيْن والمُؤمنات, فاسْ َتغفِرُوهُ فيا َ ف ْوز َ ْ
اَ ْلمُسْ َتغفريْن و َيا َنجاة اَل َّتآئبيْن.
َ َ ِِ َ ِِْ َ َ
O servant of Allah, remember that this
world is a place for temporary lodging.
Truly, hereafter is the everlasting and
permanent abode. So let us devote to
Allah for obtaining happiness and
escape from the punishment of
• Allah says in Surah Al Ahzab verse 56:
• Which means:
“Indeed Allah confers blessing
upon the prophet and His angels
(ask Him to do so). O! You who
have believed, ask Allah to confer
blessing upon him and ask Allah
to grant him peace.”
• Let us pray that Allah SWT accept
the khalifah of Rasulullah s.a.w
Sayyidina Abu Bakr al-Siddiq r.a.,
Sayyidina Umar al-Khattab r.a.,
Sayyinda Uthman ibn Affan r.a.,
Sayyidina Ali ibn Abi Thalib r.a.
• And to his companions who struggle to uphold
the religion of Allah, also to his uncles
Sayyidina Hamzah and Sayyidina Abbas r.a.
and to his granchildren Sayyidina Hassan and
Sayyidina Hussain r.a., his daughters
sayyidatina Fatimah al-Zahraa’, his wives
Sayyidatina Khadijah and Sayyidatina Aisyah
r.a. and the other wives.
• Followed by his family, companions, followers
of the companions and those who come after
them from time to time until the end of the
• O Allah, forgive the Muslims and the
believers, whether surviving or deceased.
• O Allah, grant us guidance, strength,
prosperity and help the leaders of the
Muslim countries especially your servant
Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan
Iskandar, the Sultan and ruler for the
State of Johor Darul Takzim.
• To Raja Zarith Sofiah Binti
Almarhum Sultan Idris Shah,
Tengku Ismail Ibni Sultan Ibrahim,
Tengku Mahkota Johor; and the
Prince and Princess, the royal
kinship, and all Muslims.