Name: ____________________________________________________Socratic Seminar: Dropping the Atomic Bomb
Directions: Using the resources provided to you in class and posted on the blog to develop a judgment/opinion for
whether or not the United States should have dropped the atomic bomb in order to end World War II.
1. Create a T-chart with arguments for or against dropping the bomb. Then, choose the top 3 arguments for or against
dropping the bomb on Japan. Attach your notes & rough draft and turn in.
2. Write three (3) questions that can create a discussion during the Seminar. Questions must be open-ended and
unable to be answered as “yes” or “no.”
3. Answer the written reflection question during the seminar.
4. Seminar Notes
Gain Points by:
o Ask a new question that is relevant to the topic and encourages more discussion.
o Use a quote from the provided sources.
o Use evidence from a source to agree/disagree with one of your classmates.
o Use evidence from a source to support your own ideas.
Lose points by:
o Stating ideas that have no relevance to the topic.
o Stating ideas without supportive evidence.
o Agree/disagree without using supportive evidence.
o Failure to be kind and respectful to anyone that you do not agree with.
o Losing focus, being off-task, or talking while others are speaking
Arguments FOR dropping the bomb:
Arguments AGAINST dropping the bomb:
Written Reflection - Complete on a separate sheet of paper.
1. Identify one classmate who made a point/argument that you strongly agree with. Explain WHY you agree with
2. Identify one classmate who made a point/argument you strongly disagreed with. Explain how your ideas/views were
different than his/hers.
3. After the Socratic Seminar, distinguish TWO things you now understand better about why the U. S. dropped the