Chapters 34 and 35: America and World War II
CHAPTER 34: FDR AND THE SHADOW OF WAR
1. Describe the isolationist motives and effects of FDR’s early foreign policies.
2. Explain how America gradually began to respond to the threat from totalitarian aggression
while still trying to stay neutral.
3. Describe Roosevelt’s increasingly bold moves toward aiding Britain in the fight against Hitler
and the sharp disagreements these efforts caused at home.
4. Discuss the events and diplomatic issues in the Japanese-American conflict that led up to
1. Why did FDR extend formal recognition to the Soviet Union?
2. Why did the United States promise the Philippines independence?
3. Why did FDR embark on the Good Neighbor Policy? What was the impact?
4. What was the Reciprocal Trade Agreement? Its impact?
5. How did the United States react to the aggressiveness by Germany, Italy, and Japan?
6. In the mid-1930s, strong popular support existed for which foreign policy law?
7. What were the Neutrality Acts and what was their impact?
8. What was the sequence of events regarding American arm's sales to warring nations?
9. What was the "Quarantine Speech" issued by FDR?
10. What was the result of the Munich convention?
11. What was the non-aggression treaty between Germany and the Soviet Union?
12. How did World War II officially begin?
13. Why did the United States choose not to bomb Nazi gas chamber during the war?
14. How many Jews did the United States save from Nazism?
15. How did Congress response to the fall of France in 1940?
16. What was the destroyer deal? Its impact?
17. What was the shift in public opinion towards the war in 1940?
18. Why did FDR run for a third term in 1940?
19. What was the lend-lease program? Its impact?
20. What did the United States do in response to Germany's invasion of Russia?
21. What was the Atlantic Charter?
22. Why did Japan believe it was forced into war?
23. Why was the attack on Pearl Harbor a surprise?
24. What was American public opinion towards war before Pearl Harbor? After?
CHAPTER 35: AMERICA IN WORLD WAR TWO
1. Describe the domestic mobilization for war.
2. Describe the war’s effects on American society, including regional migration, race relations,
and women’s roles.
3. Explain the final military efforts that brought Allied victory in Europe and Asia and the
significance of the atomic bomb.
1. What military strategy did FDR favor? Winning Asia or Europe?
2. What was America's first major challenge when the war began?
3. What was the reaction of most ethnic groups in America to WWII?
4. Why were Japanese-Americans placed in concentration camps in WWII?
5. Which was the most prominent union to go on strike during WWII?
6. Why did most women leave the workforce after WWII?
7. What was the impact of WWII on African-American culture in America?
8. Why did the northward migration of African-Americans occur during WWII?
9. What was FDR's policies towards native Americans during WWII?
10. What happened to the national debt during WWII?
11. What battle turned the tide of Japanese advancement in the Pacific?
12. What was the US strategy for the war in the Pacific?
13. The conquest of which island made air raids over the Japanese mainland possible?
14. What battle in Europe was the end of Nazi advancement?
15. Why did the Allies postpone opening a second front until 1944?
16. What was a criticism of the unconditional surrender policy?
17. What was the importance of the Postdam? Casablanca? Teheran?
18. Who headed the D-Day invasion?
19. What was the main reason why FDR won election in 1944?
20. What was the focus of the 1944 democratic convention?
21. What was the primary reason the United States used the atomic bombs in Japan?