Project: Steam Powered Boat
In groups of two, design and construct a steam-powered boat. You should pay close attention to the boat hull,
buoyancy, and propulsion tactics.
1. You must design a steam engine for a boat and control the steam to propel the boat forward.
2. You must secure the steam engine to the wood boat.
3. You may modify the boat via power tools, but the length must remain at 12inches.
4. You can only use designated materials.
5. You will only receive the designated materials once, you cannot receive duplicates.
6. You are allowed to “race” your boat twice.
Complete the research questionnaire regarding boats, steam production, and steam engines. 22pts
Create 2 sketches per person of possible solutions. 10pts
(1) ¼” copper tubing, 1.6” long
(1) 12” Wood blank
(2) Tea light candles
(1) 6” piece of Wire
You are allowed to make modifications and test as many times as needed.
Boat shape & hull (should incorporate design features to decrease weight and drag) 20pts
Boat buoyancy (the boat’s top should not go below the water or tip over easily) 20pts
Boat propulsion (the boat should move some distance forward) 20pts
Complete the evaluation questions. 15pts