Warming up and reading
Nowadays there are a lot of
unexpected accidents. What would you
do in such situations?
1. The best way to treat a hurt ankle is to:
A. Put an ice pack on your ankle.
B. Put a heating pad(垫子)around your
C. Keep on walking and jumping.
2. If you get a nosebleed, gently let your
head back to stop the bleeding.
(It may lead the blood into the throat
and easily cause choking.)
3. To treat a burn, you should:
A. Rub(擦)some butter on it.
B. Hold the burnt part under cold
C. Put salt on the burnt part.
4. Your friend has an asthma(哮喘) attack,
but she doesn’t have her medicine. You’d
A. Get a paper bag for her to breathe into.
B. Get her a cup of coffee.
C. Take her outside for fresh air.
(caffeine咖啡因 can help to dilate扩大
5. To treat a choke, you should make him
/her spit by patting him/her on the back.
What is first aid?
help , fall ill , injured , quickly , temporary, save
First aid is a________ form of ____help
given to someone who suddenly
______ or gets ______ before a
doctor can be found. Often the
illness or injury is not serious, but
there are other times when giving
first aid ______ will ____one’s life.
First aid for burns
1.We know the text is about first aid for
burns. How is the informotoin organized?
The information is organized according to cause,
types, characteristics and first aid treatmant for
The functions of skin:
1)Protect you against diseases , ___________
and the sun’s harmful rays ;
2) Keep you warm or cool ;
3) Prevent your body from____________;
4) Give you sense of touch .
In which order are these topics covered in the
text? Number them from 1 to 5.
____ the three types of burns
____ what to do if someone gets burned
____ the functions（功能） of skin
____ the symptoms（症状）of burns
____ how we get burns
Part 2 Causes of burns
The sun electricity chemicals
Part 3 Types of burns
There are _______ types of burns depending on
which _______ are burned.
First degree burns affect only the _____ layer and
should feel better within _______________.
a day or two
Second degree burns affect both the _____ and the
_______ layer. These burns are _______ and take
a few weeks
______________ to heal.
Third degree burns affect all ______ layers and
any ______ and ______ under the skin. They are very
_______ injuries and the victim must get to ________
Part 4 Characteristics of burns
first Red, swollen
degree burn and with blisters
second Mildly swollen
third Tissue under
C can be seen.
Part 5 Treatment Dos
1. Take off clothing and jewelry near the
2. Cool the burns with cool but not icy
3. ______ cool, clean wet cloths on the
4. ______ the burned area gently.
5. ______ the burned area with a dry clean
6. Keep the burned area higher than the
heart, if possible.
7. Get to
______ the victim ____the doctor or
hospital, if the injuries are second or
third degree burns.
1. Do not ________ the clothing that is
stuck to the burns.
2. Do not cool the burns with _____ water.
3. Do not put cool water on _____degree
4. Do not ____ butter, oil, ointment on
5. Do not ____ the burns, it will break the
Read the passage and decide whether the
first aid treatment is True (T) or False (F).
1. When someone is burned, you should
place some ice on his wound. F
2. The function of cool water is to prevent
and reduce swelling. T
3. We should put damp cloths on the second
degree burns. T
4. We shouldn’t break the blisters, or they
will make the wound infected. T
Right or Wrong
1. Sam knocked over a kettle full of
boiling water onto his legs. His legs
became red, swollen and covered
with blisters. Sam broke the blisters
and poured icy water from the fridge
onto the skin. ( W)
2. While ironing clothes, Miss Good
accidentally touched the iron. Her
wrist blistered and became watery. It
hurt a lot. She put her wrist under the
cold water tap and then kept placing
cool, clean, damp cloths on it until it
was less painful. Then she went to see
the doctor. ( R)
3. Mrs Casey’s sleeve caught fire while
she was cooking . Her arm looked
terrible but it didn’t hurt. The skin
was charred. Her husband took off
her blouse and picked off bits of the
blouse stuck to the burn. He then
placed butter on the burn and
covered it with a wet bandage.
4. After an hour in the sun, Lily noticed
her arms were red and hurt a bit.
She went home and put them under
cool running water. ( R)
Be cautious in our daily
life to avoid accidents.
Be helpful whenever
there is a need.