Gluten Free Bread Recipe – Gluten Free Pancakes
Buttermilk Pancakes with Apple and Orange Compote
Serves 6 (Makes 12 Pancakes)
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
3 red-skinned apples, peeled, quartered, cored and chopped
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 3/4 cups gluten-free instant oven bread mix with meals and grains
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, at room temperature
Melted butter, to grease
1. Finely grate the zest of 1 orange, place zest in a heatproof bowl. Using a sharp
knife, cut away peel and white pith from zested orange and 1 of the remaining
oranges. Holding over the bowl, cut between membranes to release segments
and catch any juice. Set aside.
2. Juice remaining orange. Combine juice, apple, cardamom and half the sugar in
a saucepan over moderate heat; cover. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring
occasionally, for 15 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from heat. Using a
slotted spoon, transfer half the apple pieces to bowl with orange segments
mixture. Using an electric stick mixer, process remaining apple mixture in pan
until smooth. Add pureed apple mixture so orange segments mixture in bowl; stir
to combine. Set compote aside.
3. Meanwhile, combine bread mix and remaining sugar in bowl. Whisk buttermilk
and egg in a jug. Gradually whisk buttermilk mixture into bread mix until
combined and smooth.
4. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over moderate heat. Brush pan with a little
melted butter. Pour 2 ½ tablespoon-measures of batter into pan. Cook, in
batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked. Transfer pancakes
to a heatproof plate. Cover to keep warm. Serve warm pancakes topped with
Tips and Tricks
• Buttermilk: To make 1 cup buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed
lemon juice in a measuring jug. Add enough reduced-fat milk to make 1 cup; stir.
Mixture will thicken slightly.
• Bread mix: Bought gluten-free bread mix adds fibre and extra nutrition to the
pancakes. You can use regular gluten-free self-raising flour if you like. Texture
• Leftovers: Use remaining bread mix to make muffins, pikelets, cake or pizza