CHAPTER XII. OFS REVIEW SHEET
Answer the following questions utilizing your Chapter XII. Outlines, Chapter XII. In the text, and your
Chapter XII. Packet.
1. What was the result of the revolutions that occurred in 1848?
2. What was the February 1848 revolution in France was provoked by?
3. What did the French Provisional Government adopt in 1848?
4. What were the Bloody June Days of 1848?
5. What did the English Chartist do in 1848?
6. During the Bloody June Days of 1848, what did the working class districts of Paris
7. What did Louis Napoleon owe his election as president of France to?
8. How was Louis Napoleon able to seize all the power in France?
9. Was the Austrian Empire comprised of about a dozen nationalities or language groups? (yes or no)
10. What was a decisive factor in the defeat of the revolutions of 1848?
11. How were the Habsburgs able to suppress the Hungarian rebellion ?
12. Was the post 1848 Bach system in the Austrian Empire a rigidly centralized government? (yes or no)
13. What was the greatest accomplishment of the Revolution of 1848?
14. What sources did the Marxist ideology draw upon?
15. Did the Communist Manifesto published in January 1848, arouse a lot or responses or little responses
in 1848 and 1849?
16. Did Marx's subsistence theory of wages condemn the working class to perpetual poverty (yes or no)
17. How did Marx differ from Hegel?
18. According to Marx, if proletarians try to improve their economic conditions they are considered
traitors because they betrayed their class. (True or False)
19. Did Marxism claim to be scientific? (Yes or No)
20. Did Napoleon III. encourage centralization of the economy while limiting democratic participation in
government? (yes or no)
21. Did positivism contribute to the growth of the humanities as a branch of learning?
22. What is Realpolitik?
23. Were the elections to the French Second Empire's Legislative Body carefully managed to limit
opposition to official candidates? (yes or no)
24. Was Baron Haussmann's new Paris desigened to preserve the glories of Paris's medieval past? (yes or
25. Did economic development under Napoleon III. include investment banking? (yes or no)
26. cb Did Napoleon III's concessions to the working class include the right to strike ? (yes or no)
27. What was Napoleon III. fall of power contributed to?
28. What were the economic, social, and political causes of the revolutions of 1848?
29. What lead to Louis Philippe's abdication from the throne of France?
30. What division existed within the Provisional Government?
31. How many members of the Provisional Government were "political" republicans?
32. What was the Napoleonic Legend?
33. Why was liberalism and constitutionalism dead in 1851 in the Second Republic in France?
34. Who was Alphonse Lamartine?
35. Who was Louis Blanc?
36. What were the National Workshops in France?
37. What was the Constituent Assembly?
38. Who was General Cavaignac?
39. What is Chartism?
40. What was the Falloux Law?
41. What were the Napoleonic Ideas?
42. Why did the revolutions of 1848 fail?
43. What was the Frankfurt Assembly?
44. Who was Francis Joseph?
45. Who was Joseph Mazzini?
46. What was the Bach System?
47. What were the March Days?
48. Why did antirevolutionism become the order of the day in Austria?
49. What were the March Laws?
50. What was a major obstacle to German unification?
51. What position did Frederick William IV. take when a revolution broke out in Prussia?
52. How did the origin of the Frankfurt Assembly contribute both to its strength and to its weakness?
53. Why did Frederick William's plan for German unification fail?
54. What kind of Constitution did Prussia receive in 1850?
55. Where the members of the Frankfurt Assembly revolutionary? (yes or no)
56. Why did liberal nationalism fail in Germany in 1848?
57. What was the Berlin Assembly?
58. What is realism?
59. What is positivism?
60. What is Marxism?
61. Did Marxism reflect the societal conditions of the time? (yes or no)
62. What was the "new toughness of mind" ?
63. What is dialectical materialism?
64. Identify a positive aspect of Marxism.
65. Identify a negative aspect of Marxism.
66. Who was Gustave Flaubert?
67. Who was August Comte?
68. Who was Freidrich Engels?
69. What is capital?
70. Who were the young Hegelians?
71. What is a dictatorship of the proletariat?
72. What is scientific socialism?
73. What is utopian socialism?
74. What is opportunism?
75. What is Bonapartism?
76. What was political life like during Napoleon III.'s reign?
77. Who was Baron Haussmann?
78. Who was Saint Simonians?
79. What is a socialist emperor?
80. What is the law of limited liability?
81. What is Liberal Empire?
82. What connection did France have to the Suez Canal?
83. What is Credit Mobilier?
84. What is Credit Foncier?
85. In what sense can Napoleon III. be considered the first "modern dictator"?