Repatriation of a deceased body

Document Sample
Repatriation of a deceased body Powered By Docstoc
					                Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee

                                 Repatriation of a Deceased Body
Repatriation of a deceased body to another                           resident of the country in which they died, this process can
country                                                              seem all the more complicated, especially where it is the
                                                                     wish of the family that the deceased be returned to their
When a death occurs in the United Kingdom and it is desired          home country.
to take the body abroad to hold a funeral service, there are a
number of administrative and practical issues to deal with.          Your tour operator, the local police or the British Consul can
                                                                     advise you on how to register the death and make
Some of these requirements may apply for burial in another           arrangements for a local funeral or repatriating the deceased
part of the United Kingdom. There is no restriction on moving        to the UK. The British Consul can also help if you need
bodies within England and Wales, but you need to notify the          assistance communicating in a foreign language. Where the
coroner for the district in which the body is lying if you want      deceased had a valid travel insurance policy, repatriation
to move the deceased to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle         and its costs may be arranged and met by the insurers if
of Man or the Channel Islands, or overseas. This procedure           specified in the cover document.
applies to all cases where the body is to be moved out of
England and Wales, not just when the death was reported to           When a death occurs abroad and it is desired to bring the
the coroner.                                                         deceased back home and hold a funeral service in the
                                                                     United Kingdom, there are a number of administrative and
The death must be registered in the usual way, but before            practical issues to deal with. The death should be registered
attending the Register Office, you must contact the                  according to the local regulations of that country and a Death
Coroners' Office to make them aware that you wish to move            Certificate should be obtained along with an authorisation for
the body abroad. To do this, you will need a form 104 (Form          the removal of the body from the country of death from the
of notice to a coroner of intention to remove a body out of          coroner or relevant authority.
England), which can be obtained from any registrar or a
coroner. You will also need to give the form 104 to the              To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need:
coroner at least 4 working days before the body is to be
moved so that any necessary enquiries can be made. You                        An authenticated translation of a foreign Death
should enclose any certificate for burial or cremation already                 Certificate, or a Death Certificate issued in
issued.                                                                        Scotland or Northern Ireland, showing the cause
                                                                               of death, or an authorisation for the removal of the
The Coroner's Office will guide you through what needs to                      body from the country of death by someone
be done and what documents will be required. You may                           authorised to do so.; and
contact the North Derbyshire Coroner’s Office either directly                 A Certificate of No Liability to Register from the
on 01246 202391, or through your funeral director.                             registrar in England and Wales in whose sub-
                                                                               district it is intended to bury or cremate the
Once the documentation is received, the coroner will contact                   deceased. This is the document that will be given
you, usually within four days, to let you know when the body                   to the funeral director in order to allow the funeral
can be moved. In urgent situations, it may be possible to                      to proceed. It is the duty of the registrar to make
bring this forward. You will be given a removal notice, part                   preliminary checks regarding the place and cause
of which is sent to the Registrar of Births Deaths &                           of death and to issue the necessary
Marriages. To make arrangements for transporting the body,                     documentation. This certificate is not required if a
it is best to consult a funeral director; most carriers who                    coroner has issued a certificate for cremation
permit the transportation of human remains will deal only                      (form E) or an order for burial.
with a funeral director.
                                                                               If you require any further information please
Cadaver certificates                                                           contact:
                                                                               The Registration Service
Some countries require a Cadaver Certificate before they will                  New Beetwell Street
allow a body into the country for burial. The certificate, if                  Chesterfield
issued, confirms that no epidemic of infectious disease                        DERBYSHIRE
occurred in the borough for some three months preceding                        ENGLAND
the death.                                                                     S40 1QJ

The funeral director, making the arrangements on behalf of                     Tel: 44 (0)1246 234754
the relatives, usually handles the formality of obtaining the                  Fax: 44 (0)1246 274493
cadaver certificate.    However, anyone can apply. The
Environmental Health Officer for the Council in whose area           Burial of those deceased abroad
the person died or from which they are to be exhumed
before reburial elsewhere, issues the certificate.                   You can arrange a local burial or cremation in the country
                                                                     where the death occurred, should you wish. The British
The funeral directors will also help with anything requested         Consul there can register the death and record it at the
by the Coroner and with the requirements of the authorities          Register Office. In the case of a cremation, the cremated
in the overseas country to which the deceased is going.              remains can be repatriated to the UK following the cremation
Repatriation of a deceased body from abroad to
England or Wales                                                     For the burial of a person whose death occurred abroad to
                                                                     take place in the Borough of Chesterfield a death certificate
                                                                     issued by the registration authority of the country of their
The death of a loved one is a distressing time, and the              demise is required. This should be taken to the to the
thought of registering the death and making funeral                  registrar of the district in which the burial is taking place, as
arrangements can be daunting. If the deceased was not a

Information provided by the Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee in support of The Charter for the Bereaved.
                Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee

                                   Repatriation of a Deceased Body
they will need to issue a Certificate of No Liability to                        would have been referred to the coroner, the
Register.                                                                       Home Office will not issue an order until the
                                                                                coroner has been consulted. The coroner will open
Those who have deceased abroad can be buried in:                                an inquest to investigate the cause and
     Boythorpe Cemetery                                                         circumstances of death. Once the coroner’s
     Brimington Cemetery                                                        investigations are complete he may himself issue a
     Staveley Cemetery                                                          certificate for cremation in Form E if he accepts the
     Spital Cemetery                                                            case, but if he declines jurisdiction the Home
                                                                                Office will consider the application on receipt of
Cremation of those deceased abroad                                              confirmation of the coroner’s decision.

To arrange the cremation in England and Wales of a person                       If the cause of death stated is generic, for example
where the death occurred abroad (outside England and                            ‘heart attack’, ‘respiratory failure’ or ‘natural
Wales) you will need a cremation order from the Home                            causes’, it may not be possible to issue a
Office or a certificate of cremation (Form E) from the                          cremation order until a more specific cause is
coroner. Either of these dispenses with the need for the two                    ascertained. In such cases the death should be
doctors' certificates for cremation (forms B and C). If the                     reported to the coroner, as above.
deaths occurred in Scotland, Northern Ireland or the
Channel Islands the local equivalents of forms B and C may                      Alternatively a more precise cause of death may
be acceptable.                                                                  be obtained by contacting the relevant foreign
Because the normal certification required for cremation is not
available for a death overseas, the Secretary of State will                    Translation of documents if necessary.
issue an order to authorise the medical referee to allow the                    If documents are in a foreign language, it is for the
cremation without the statutory certificates (or ones to like                   applicant to have the documents officially
effect). In all cases the final decision whether to permit the                  translated. However, documents in most West
cremation still rests with the medical referee.                                 European languages will usually be accepted
                                                                                without translation. If in any doubt, you are advised
It is advisable not to make funeral arrangements until a                        to contact the Home Office in advance.
Home Office cremation order has been issued, in case there
are any difficulties with the application                             If you require any further information please contact:
                                                                      Contact: John Rotherham
If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will
                                                                      Tel: 01246 345888
require the following documentation:
                                                                      Fax: 01246 345889
         Application for Cremation (Form A);                         email:
          The Form ‘A’ is available from the Bereavement
          Services Office and must normally be completed
          by the nearest surviving relative or an executor of
          the deceased’s estate. If another person
          completes the form, a covering letter should be
          provided to explain why the relevant person has
          not made the application. Only the original of the
          application form is acceptable.

         All original documentation from the country where
          death occurred;
          The application must be accompanied by an
          original document (or certified copy of an original
          document) that gives a specific cause of death.
          This does not necessarily have to be a death
          certificate. A number of different official documents
          may be acceptable, including a consular death
          certificate, a doctor’s certificate, or a mortuary
          certificate. It is sensible to submit all of the official
          overseas documentation accompanying the body.
          If you are unsure, you should contact the Home
          Office in advance for advice.

          If you do not have originals or certified copies of
          the relevant documents, you should contact the
          funeral directors that assisted with the deceased in
          the country where he/she died, or contact the
          issuer of the documents and ask them to send you
          a certified copy. In certain circumstances the
          Consular Division Foreign and Commonwealth
          Office (Tel: 0207 270 1500) may be able to assist.

          If the cause of death is not natural, or is one that,
          had the death occurred in England or Wales,

Information provided by the Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee in support of The Charter for the Bereaved.

Shared By: