Beowulf Chapter Questions
1. How is Shild’s greatness described in the Prologue? Give
2. How is Herot described? Why does Hrothgar build it?
3. Where does Grendel live? What are his origins?
4. What happens to Herot following Grendel’s attacks?
5. How does Hrothgar react to Grendel’s attacks and the
crimes against his people?
6. How does the watchman respond to Beowulf’s
introduction and statement of purpose?
7. What is the first impression Beowulf and his men make
8. How is Beowulf welcomed by King Hrothgar?
9. Summarize Beowulf’s boast that begins on line 415. Why
must Beowulf boast?
10. Provide a quotation that supports Beowulf accepts
the fate of death.
11. Why do you think Beowulf agrees to fight Grendel
12. What event does Hrothgar arrange before Beowulf
will face Grendel?
13. What does the gesture say about the king?
14. Find an example of personification in l. 630-660.
15. What line (between 730-740) foreshadows the
outcome of Grendel’s battle with Beowulf?
16. Describe Beowulf’s battle and the outcome.
17. What does Beowulf keep as a symbol of his victory?