ABERDEEN BOAT CLUB
J/80 PERMITTED HIRER
1. To be placed on the List of J/80 Permitted Hirers, an applicant shall:
Have attended an ABC Familiarisation & Rigging session OR
Have attended and passed an ABC Demonstration & Assessment Day OR
Have attended and passed an ABC Day Skipper Course OR
Be able to show significant and documented sailing experience in a J/80 or very similar keelboat
Be able to provide copies of appropriate keelboat qualifications to the level of boat skipper or
2. The applicant shall sign and return the Permitted Hirer Application & Indemnity Form, attached below, and
have it countersigned by either a member designated by the Sailing & Marine Committee, the Marine
Manager, or the Dinghy Sailing Manager. Note that the Chairman of the Sailing & Marine Committee may
instruct that a member be deleted from the List of J/80 Permitted Hirers.
3. Members who successfully complete an appropriate course or assessment at ABC are not automatically
added to the list of permitted hirers; an application form still needs to be completed and submitted.
4. Applicants are advised to apply in advance because the list is not updated immediately, usually the details
will be checked on a monthly basis.
5. If members wish to hire a club J/80 immediately after completing a course and filling in the Permitted Hiring
application form, they should contact the ABC Dinghy Sailing Manager or Sailing Secretary, in person, so
that individual arrangements can be made.
6. While the club wishes to facilitate J/80 sailing and hiring by members, the list of Permitted Hirers is part of
a very important safety process and should be complied with.
By signing this application form a Permitted Hirer (PH) indemnifies the Club, its officers, staff and committee
members against any action arising from any damage, injury or death and agrees that his hire of a J/80 is made on
the following conditions:
1. The PH takes full responsibility for the boat and crew, and acknowledges that the responsibility for a
decision to participate or to continue to participate in sailing is his alone.
2. Agrees that any damage or loss not due to fair wear and tear will be at the PH’s expense subject to a
maximum liability to the PH of HK$10,000. We particularly draw attention to repairs or replacements
following any potential gennaker sail damage which will liable to the PH.
3. The Hirer will comply at all times with the terms of the Club's insurance policy covering the use of the Boat
and shall not use the boat in such a way as to entitle the insurer to avoid the Club's insurance policy.
4. The PH recognizes that there can be some risk associated with sailing activities, and therefore before
taking a J/80 out will:
Satisfy themselves that they are competent to sail in the weather conditions which may be
Carefully check all gear to ensure everything is in working order prior to departure
Properly complete the hiring form indicating proposed sailing area, number of crew and expected
Be aware of all the official ABC guidelines laid out in the ABC J/80 Hirer’s Guide
5. The PH shall ensure that at all times when the J/80 is in use that:
Everyone on board is physically fit, competent at swimming and wears an appropriately sized
buoyancy aid or life jacket (the Club provides lifejackets but the PH must check these before use)
The boat is treated with care, and that any failures, damages or losses are written in the on-board
incident & damage book, and that these failures, damages or losses are reported to Marine Staff
or club management at the end of the hire.
6. Only adult Club Members aged 18 years or older will be accepted onto the list of Approved Hirers.
7. Racing: Crew under the age of 14 are not permitted to take part in any competitive event on the club J/80s.
Cruising (no Gennaker): Crew under the age of 14 must be proficient swimmers and must wear a well-
fitting lifejacket to be provided by the PH.
8. A PH is required to hold a Hong Kong Pleasure Vessel Operators Licence, (PVOL) and to have submitted
that with their application to be added to the Hiring List.
9. J/80s must not be taken out or if already out, must return to Middle Island in the event of any of the
following: the No.3 or higher Typhoon Signal is hoisted; a Black Rainstorm signal is issued; a localized
thunderstorm is taking place; when directed by any of the Club’s marine staff to do so, or when breakage,
damage, or loss occurs.
10. PHs are to ensure that J80s are returned and gear stowed away in accordance with the J/80 Hirers Guide
before nightfall. Overtime incurred due to the late return of J80s will be charged to the member’s account.
BOOKING A CLUB J/80:
a. Bookings may be made by contacting the ABC Sailing Secretary at Tel 2552 8182 ext 836, emailing
SailingSecretary@abclubhk.com or by faxing your booking through on 2873 2945. Once a booking is
made the member’s account will be debited whether the J/80 is used or not, unless a No 3 or higher
typhoon signal is hoisted or a Black Rainstorm warning issued. Dinghy Hire Forms are kept at the ABC
main club in the downstairs marine office and at the Sailing Office.
b. From time to time club J/80s will be reserved for events such as training courses.
c. Hiring charges are as follows. Please note ABC reserves the right to change these rates or offer special
prices for particular days or activities. Members will qualify for a 20% discount on their first boat hire.
Week-day half day $400
Week-day full day $600
Weekend half day $500
Weekend full day $700
Waglan or Summer Series per day $800
Saturday Series per day $700
Classic Yacht Rally (whole regatta) $2500
Opening Regatta or Four Peaks Race $3000
J/80 PERMITTED HIRER APPLICATION & INDEMNITY FORM
Please complete and return this page to ABC Sailing Office
SailingSecretary@abclubhk.com or FAX 2873 2945
I have read and agree to the Conditions above relating to Club J/80 Hire and hereby apply to be registered on the
List of J/80 Permitted Hirers at ABC
I declare that I __________________________ am competent to be so registered and undertake to pay all debts
incurred thereby. I declare that I can swim and have no known physical complaints that would impair my ability to
hire club J/80s safely. I agree that if I suffer damage, death or personal injury from whatever cause as a result of
my hiring the indicated club J/80, I shall not hold the Aberdeen Boat Club or its staff liable for such damage, death
or personal injury and I make this agreement in full knowledge of the risks inherent in sailing.
(please print out and sign)
Name ____________________________________ Date _________________________________
E-mail ____________________________________ Membership No.________________________
Home Phone number* ________________________ Mobile Phone number* __________________
(Two different phone numbers are required to provide us with a quick means of contact if needed)
I recommend that the above applicant is placed on the List of Permitted Hirer for the above stated boat or boats
Signed ____________________________________ Capacity ______________________________
(office use only) (office use only)
Name _____________________________________ Date _________________________________
(office use only) (office use only)
The applicant attended the following Course (s) (please include date and provide copies of certification):
The applicant states the following relevant keelboat sailing experience in support of their application:
The applicant specifies the following experience or training in Gennaker use and applies for the gennaker hiring
The applicant specifies the following Racing experience and applies for the racing hiring endorsement:
The applicant holds a valid Hong Kong Pleasure Vessel Operators Licence,
a copy of which is attached here _____ Expiry date: ______________________________