Clothes and shoes ?
What you can do in the shop
How clothes look and feel
Match Russian and English phrases and words:
• 1. local currency a) найти выгодную покупку
• 2. get a discount b) расплатиться чеком
• 3. find a bargain c) получить скидку
• 4. five-pound note d) местная денежная единица
• 5. accept credit cards e) пятифунтовая банкнота
• 6. pay by cheque f) сэкономить фунт
• 7. save a pound g) принимать кредитные
• 8. in the sales h) в продаже
• 9. on sale i) наличными деньгами
• 10. by credit card g) на распродажах
• 11. in cash k) по кредитной карте
Shopping in London
London has many large department stores, which sell
everything: shoes and shirts, paper and perfume,
fur coats and frying pans. The most expensive
department store is Harrods in Knightsbridge.
You can buy almost everything in Harrods, and you
know you’re getting the best. Twice a year, in
January and July, Harrods has a sale. Some things
are almost half price, and there are thousands of
bargains. But on the first days of the sale the
shop is very overcrowded. Some people stand and
wait all the night so that they can be first in the
shop when it opens.
The smartest and most expensive shops are in
Knightsbridge, but more people come to Oxford
Street, London’s most popular shopping centre.
The street is more than a mile long. There are
several big department stores in Oxford Street.
You can buy what you like in the big shops, but the
markets have a lot to offer too. There are several
big street markets in London, and many small ones.
Covent Garden market is open every day. Come
here for antiques, old clothes, hand-made
jewellery and many other rather special things.
Complete the sentences with the words from the table:
1. Harrods in Knightsbridge is one of the
largest_________________ in London.
2. In January and July Harrods has a _______.
3. ________ are the things that are cheaper,
sometimes they are even _____.
4. Shop assistants ____ you a lot of rare things
in Covent Garden.
5. Thousands of people come to Oxford Street
where London’s most popular __________
Listening and Comprehension
• Listen to the dialogue
of Linda Lane and her
mother twice and be
ready to complete
sentences with the
suitable words from
• Listen to the dialogue
for the first time.
Complete the sentences with the words
from the dialogue.
• Linda Lane needs new ______ .
• ______ goes shopping with her.
• Linda finds ________ but her mother
doesn’t like it.
• Linda’s mother doesn’t like purple
______ and a blue ______ either.
• Linda thinks a white blouse is ____ .
• Linda and her mother don’t buy
anything and decide to go to a _____.
Listen to the dialogue once more.
Check your answers:
• Linda Lane needs new clothes.
• Her mother goes shopping with her.
• Linda finds a black dress but her mother doesn’t
• Linda’s mother doesn’t like purple shoes and a blue
• Linda thinks a white blouse is awful.
• Linda and her mother don’t buy anything and
decided to go to a new store.
Put tag questions to the sentences:
• Linda Lane needs new clothes,
• Her mother goes shopping
• I don’t like this dress,
• This white blouse is awful,
• Linda’s mother doesn’t like
purple shoes and a blue skirt ,
• It doesn’t fit, does it?
• I want to go to the mall, don’t I?
• There is a new store across
the mall, isn’t she?
• Linda is happy again, isn’t there?
Dramatize the dialogue.
Compose your own
• Exercise 1 on page 10
• Exercise 3 on page 11 from the
Thank you very