Saving the Sand
TODAY WE WILL….
• Analyze text structure
• Identify cause and effect text
• Use academic language: text
structure, cause, effect
• Preserve • Suffered
– An area set aside – Being harmed or
for the protection damaged
of plants and • Rainfall
animals – The amount of rain
• Restore that falls on an area in
a certain period of
– Something you
bring back to its
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 3
Analyze Text Structure
• When writers organize their writing in a particular
way it is called text structure.
• 5 kinds of nonfiction text structure:
To figure out the text structure of nonfiction
writing, good readers look for clues and
signal words as they read.
SKILL: Cause and Effect
• A cause and effect text structure
explains how or why something
• A cause is an event that makes
PREVIEW & PREDICT
When I say “Go”, take 1 minute to preview the
• Skim text when previewing
• Ask questions before reading
• Use section headers to make predictions
– What “causes and effects” might be described in
On your index card, write your predictions about
the events or characters in the story.
After we listen to the story, we will check your
• Read to find out…
– How can items be recycled to
help the environment?
Time to Read
• Read pages 344 – 345
• Discuss with your group –
Nonfiction has a special kind of
organization called text structure.
Look at the third paragraph on page
344. What text structure is the
author using? Explain how you can
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 9
Time to Read
• Read page 346
• Talk about it – What caused the students
to continue the project?
• What happened because the students
buried the lower half of each tree in the
sand? Why did it happen?
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 10
Time to Read
• Read page 347
• Discuss - What does the word
anchor mean in the second
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 11
Cause and Effect
• Why did students “plant” dead
trees on the beach?
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 12
• How did planting trees help the
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 13
Text To Self
• Have you ever found a new use
for an old object? Describe it.
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 14
Compare and Contrast
• How are the Kern River
Preserve, Chihuahuan Desert,
and sand dunes in New Jersey
8/17/2012 Free PowerPoint Template from www.brainybetty.com 15
Let’s Check our Predictions!
• Share with your criss-cross/shoulder
partner your predictions. Were they
• How can items be recycled to help the
TOMORROW WE WILL…
– Use our “Cause and Effect” chart to
help answer the “Think and Compare”
questions on page 347.
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT
• What can you do to help our
• Let’s Share!