University of Kentucky (Host)
Scholarships Available Asbury University
High School Students Bluegrass Technical College
• Type 1—uncapped tuition/fees Centre College
• Type 2—$18,000/yr tuition/fees Eastern Kentucky University
• Type 7—$9,000/yr or in-state tuition/fees* Georgetown College
* UK provides in-state tuition rate for all Type 7 Kentucky State University
High School Midway College
Scholarship recipients Transylvania University
In College Scholarships
•Type 1— uncapped tuition/fees
• Type 2— $18,000/yr tuition/fees
• Type 3— $9,000/yr tuition/fees
• Type 6— $3,000/yr tuition/fees
• Competitive/ Type to be determined upon award
• Nursing, Electrical Eng, Computer Eng,
Chinese, Russian, Arabic, Japanese, etc.
All scholarship recipients receive $900/yr
for books and $300-$500 monthly stipend
APPLY ON-LINE at www.afrotc.com email@example.com
phone: (859) 257-7115 (859) 257-7115
local web: www.ukafrotc.com
Current as of 25 Mar 11. Information subject to change.
WHAT IS AIR FORCE ROTC? Air Force Reserve Officer
HOW MUCH TIME DO STUDENTS HAVE TO SPEND WITH WHAT ARE THE CAREER OPPORTUNITIES?
Training Corps (ROTC) is a program that prepares young
AIR FORCE ROTC EACH WEEK? Approximately six We offers over 100 career fields, including:
men and women to become officers in the United States
hours per week for freshmen and sophomores, eight hours Aircraft – pilot, navigator, maintenance
Air Force while completing a degree.
per week for juniors and seniors. Space & Missiles – satellite operations, space
IF I JOIN AIR FORCE ROTC, DOES THAT MEAN I’M warning, missile launch operations, maintenance
WHAT ARE THE DRESS REQUIREMENTS? Hair must be Engineering – research, development and technical
JOINING THE MILITARY? No. ROTC is a training program
kept in accordance with Air Force guidelines when in uniform, management in various engineering fields
for military officers, but the students in the program have
but that doesn’t mean students have to cut it all off. Students Science – mathematics, nuclear physics,
not yet joined the military. Students who complete the
are required to wear uniforms to Air Force ROTC classes and metallurgy, meteorology
ROTC program will join the military after graduating from
Leadership Lab and occasionally for special events. Computer Science – programming, systems
college, at which time they will be commissioned as second
lieutenants in the Air Force. analysis, development
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING IN AFROTC? Law – labor, claims, international contracts,
• Scholarships to help with the cost of tuition and books military justice, legal assistance
WHAT IS MY OBLIGATION? Most ROTC graduates have a
• Free room and board for scholarship cadets at Asbury College Health Sciences – physician, dentist, nurse
four-year commitment. Pilots, navigators and air battle
• A monthly, tax-free cash stipend given during the Management – intelligence, security forces,
managers have six- to 10-year commitments after training.
academic year while on scholarship or enrolled in personnel, air traffic control, supply, finance,
the Professional Officer Course communications, electronics, munitions
ARE THERE RESTRICTIONS AS TO WHAT STUDENTS
• Academic credits toward the completion of most degrees This is just a small sample. Call (859)257-7115
SELECT AS THEIR ACADEMIC MAJORS? Not at all.
• Visits to Air Force bases and orientation flights aboard for more information
In fact, we encourage students to take a curriculum they are
Air Force aircraft
interested in and in which they have the capability to do
• Travel on military aircraft on a space-available basis
well. Our main academic concern is that students
• Opportunity to pursue a graduate degree
maintain a grade point average (GPA) above 2.0 and attain
their degrees in the time period planned. The GPA
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING IN AIR FORCE
requirements are different for students applying for a
scholarship or who are on scholarship.
• Rewarding, meaningful positions of responsibility
• Competitive salary and allowances
DO I HAVE TO BECOME A PILOT OR NAVIGATOR? No.
• 100% tuition assistance toward an advanced degree
The vast majority of Air Force jobs do not involve flying at
• Retirement after 20 years with a percentage of base pay
all. In the civilian world, there are thousands of jobs and
• 30 days of leave with pay each year
careers – doctors, lawyers, law enforcement, engineers,
• Medical and dental care furnished at no cost
Financial careers, food-service management – the list
• Unlimited sick leave with full pay
is endless. For almost every civilian out in the work force,
• Free housing on base or off-base housing allowance
there is an Air Force officer counterpart performing the job.
• On-base discounted shopping
• Officer’s clubs, swimming, golfing, bowling, tennis
• Daily stipend available when traveling on official orders
Q: How can you tell these are Air Force ROTC cadets?
A: They’re not paying tuition!