Johanna Aaltonen, Finland
• Beautiful small town
• Located 70 km north-east Ljubljana
• About 100 000 inhabitants
• Celje hospital
– 3rd largest hospital in Slovenia
– All major specialities represented
Celje – Ob & Gyn
• 1700 deliveries
• 1300 major operations
• 10 specialists, 1-2 residents
– 2 doctors in house during night shift
• 15 primary care gynecologists in the area
Celje - Obstetrics
• 5 beds for deliveries
– two private rooms, one room for 3 patients
– epidural analgesia is not common
• Department for antenatal & postnatal care
• 2D Ultrasound with Doppler
Celje - Gynecology
• Two operation rooms for major operations
– one room for small procedures
– newest technology, Ligasure
• No special monitoring room post. op.
– Skilled anestesiologists (2) !
• Department for pre- and postoperative
• Ambulatory room
• 2D ultrasound with Doppler
• 8.10 meeting with all doctors
– report from the night, previous day operations
and plans for the day
– the head dr. decides who does what daily
• 9.00 – 15.00 operative work possible, lack
of anestesiologists is the limit
• All do almost anything
• Good atmosphere!
Exchange in Celje
• myself & dr. Barbora Kasova
– Two days in operative room
– One day in primary care
– One day in delivery room, ultrasound,
• Warm welcome, a lot to see & experience!
• No language problems after breaking the
• Role of the primary care doctors
• How the work is shared between doctors &
– 2 doctors in house during the night
– Training of the nurses & midwifes!
• Responsibilies of the residents vs.
Biology is the same, medicine
is nearly the same, the
organization and culture differs
Thank you Celje & Slovenia!