Children’s Book on The Cold War Due: Wednesday, April 25th
Use Ch. 33 Sections 1 and 4 in Patterns of Interaction to complete the following assignment:
Here is the situation: The year is 1980. A young son asks his father: “Dad, are we at
war with the Russians?” Not having a simple answer, he decides that the best way to
explain the answer to this question is to create a simple “children’s book” that
explains the history of the cold war up to that point.
Your task is to give a brief explanation of the history of the cold war in simple
language by creating this book.
1. Your “book” must have a cover and at least 6 pages of writing. (a page is a ½ piece of
2. Your book must briefly explain (in 2-3 sentences) all of the topics below. There should
also be some simple transitions to connect one topic with the next.
3. The book should be written in language easy for a 5th Grader to understand.
4. The book must also contain at least 4 pages of artwork. Artwork should relate to the
topics in the book.
You must include these topics in your book:
1. Differing U.S. and Soviet Goals 8. Warsaw Pact
2. The Iron Curtain 9. Brinksmanship
3. Policy of Containment 10. Fighting for Third World
4. The Truman Doctrine 11. Cold War Strategies
5. Marshall Plan 12. Cuban Revolution
6. Berlin Airlift 13. Cuban Missile Crisis
7. N.A.T.O. 14. Afghanistan
Pages should look like this:
1. You will have two full class periods to work on this.
2. You may work alone or in pairs. If you work in pairs, you will both receive the same grade.
3. This assignment will count as a quiz grade—meaning 50 points in the Test category.