By: Emily Lanning, Lea Rehm, Padma
Shenoy, Ryan Neufer and Ridge Billig
Pearl Harbor in
Hawaii was the
THE FLEET AT PEARL
A fleet of American
battle ships and
were stationed in
This was an
to destroy. He
created an attack
RUMORS OF WAR
• Japanese emissaries delivered hostile
messages to the secretary of state
who thought they were deceptive.
• The president didn’t think the
attack would come at Pearl Harbor.
•The military intercepted hostile
Japanese communications during
November and December, 1941.
•Cordell Hull, secretary of state,
was trying to get an agreement
between Japan and other countries.
•On the morning of December 7, 1941,
183 Japanese planes approached Pearl
•The ships in the U.S. Pacific Fleet
would be destroyed.
•The planes dropped bombs and
torpedoes on the battleships.
• Most of the Arizona’s crew were on board. There
were more than 900 of her crew.
• Never in the history of the United States had a
ship taken so many men with her.
• Many men didn’t want to join world war 2 before
• On December 8th FDR addressed America that
the US would enter the war.
• FDR died on April 12th 1945.
• Hitler committed suicide 18 days later,
ending the war in Europe.
• Japan didn’t stop fighting.
• Truman debated whether to use an atomic
• Truman gave permission to drop the
• The city where the bomb would be
dropped was Hiroshima, Japan.
• The bomb was released at 8:15:17am.
August 6th 1945.
• The bomb detonated 1,870ft. Above
ground 43 seconds after it was released
from the plane, Enola Gay.
• The explosion equaled about 13,000 to
15,000 tons of TNT.
• August 9th Bockscar, an American plane
flew over Nagasaki, Japan.
• The bomb detonated at 11:02am.,
exploded 1540ft. above the Urakami river
• Nagasaki was devastated like Hiroshima.
• The emperor said the war was over.