Standard Operation Procedures for Autoclave
Room 256 Rhines Hall
WD40 (when lubrication is necessary)
1. Be aware of pressure and temperature limits. The current model we have is
4768 and the maximum working temperature and pressure are 350 °C and
2950 psi, respectively. The maximum volume of water you can fill in 400 ml,
which is two-third of the volume of the vessel.
2. Check the connection between the controller and the heating mental and
make sure the power cables and thermal couple are well connected. Inspect
all electrical wiring and pressure connections for wear and excessive
3. Check the pressure vessel and compression bolts. Inspect the bolts on split
ring closures for lubrication and cleanliness. These screws and bolts should
not be allowed to dry because the threads will seize. Lubricate them with
WD40 when necessary. Examine the head seal carefully to be sure that it is
in good condition. The seal should not have any nicks or be hardened,
discolored, or deformed.
4. Use graduate cylinder to measure desired volume of DI water and pour into
5. Place the gage block assembly onto the vessel with the tip of the thermal
couple completely immersed in DI water.
6. Seal the vessel with the split ring closure. Pick a starting bolt and turn the
bolt figure-tight. Then by-pass the adjacent bolts and move around the
closure to a bolt approximately 180 ° from the start and turn it figure-tight.
Repeat until all are turned figure-tight. Then use a wrench to tighten each
bolt in the same manner. You should always stop turning when you feel
enough pressure. Do not over-tighten the compression bolts, this can
generate excessive strain on the closure. Check all bolts to ensure uniform
7. Put on the band and fasten the cone pointed screw.
8. Check the gas release valve and ensure it is completely closed.
9. Place the vessel onto the heating mental and turn on the controller.
10. Setup the target temperature by holding “*” button and “up” or “down” button.
11. Turn on the heating button and allow 20 to 30 minutes to reach desired
12. To finish the experiment, turn off the heating button.
13. Wait until temperature reaches the point where you can handle it.
14. Take the vessel out of the heating mental and open the gas release valve to
discharge any internal pressure; then loosen the compression blots in the
split ring sections. Loosen the cone pointed screw in the outer band and
lower the band to rest on the table. Remove the ring sections and the gage
block assembly. Take out samples and clean the vessel.
15. Turn off the controller.