United States Power Squadrons
800 System Rewrite
P/C Dan Bartell, SN
SEO Shallotte River, D-27
Member IT Committee
Why a Rewrite was needed
• Existing system was 15 years old.
• The web environment has changed.
• New data is available on the Server.
• New requirements like USPS University
and Trial Membership.
• Need to support both web based tools
anyone can use and tools specific to
Windows based PCs.
• Track USPS Advance grades and elective
• Support Member & Non-member Costs.
• Use logon and Jobs held data for security
(OD-1 & OD-2).
• Web based student input and tracking.
• Make boating course completion
information available online.
Boating Couse Completions
• Last 6 years of ED26s & ED27s are online.
• Searches are available against this data.
• Entry of missing ED26s & ED27s.
• Generation of Certificates & cards will be
available for those lost as soon as I get
• Import facility from BCA 2010 and the
workbook. (BCA 2011?)
• Online boating course student entry and
tracking with a student database.
• Supports all browsers and OS platforms.
• Automatic entry of online registrants and
automatic USPS University Enrollment.
• Entry of a passing grade automatically
generates an ED26.
• A nightly run automatically generates
ED27s with DEO, SEO, and NASBLA
• ED26s and ED27s are sent to HQ and
entered in the online databases.
• Students can be imported from BCA 2010
and the WorkBook.
• BCA 2011 has a fully functional interface.
• BCA 2011 interface provides, boating
course & seminar creation, downloads and
uploads. Interface is completely
• Mixed mode tracking is possible but not
• BCA 2010 & the Workbook are not directly
supported by the new 800 system.
• The 800 online system can generate
Certificates & Cards for preformatted
forms, blank forms or blank paper.
• The 800 system provides the ability to
send emails to a selected set of students.
• Student emails are validated.
• The 800 system provides state reports &
• Student data is deleted 90 days after
course start date. Those passing are on
the ED26 database, and those becoming
members or USPS University members
are on the membership database.
• A lot more is possible I need input from
you to tell me what else is needed.
• The 800 system has an online entry
process for seminar completions.
• It distinguishes between member
completions and non-member
completions for ease of input.
• It is fully interfaced with BCA 2011.
SEO/DEO Tools Page
• The new 800 system is online now.
• It’s starting page has a link to the old 800
• That link will be removed by the end of
February. (Depends on BCA 2011)
• BCA 2010 and Workbook ED26, ED27 &
ED46 interfaces will no longer work.
• You must move to the new online 800
system with or without BCA 2011. 12
• Enhancements to the 800 system will be
provided. Let me know what is needed.
When they will be available depends on
the need, prioritization by the eddept, and
• There is a lot of pressure from states for
complex reporting and we now have all
the data in one place. These issues will
also be addressed. However, requirements
are needed. 13
Questions ? … Comments