Frequently Asked Questions

Document Sample
Frequently Asked Questions Powered By Docstoc
					                         FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. 1.   What is ERASMUS?
A. 1.   ERASMUS, "European Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students"
        is the European Commission's educational programme for Higher Education students,
        teachers and institutions. It allows European undergraduate students to study for part of
        their degree programme in another European country and to receive full recognition of
        this period as an integral part of their overall degree.

Q. 2.   What are the advantages of being an ERASMUS Student?
A. 2.   Flexibility – Experience, which encourages and develops a flexible approach to learning
        and working, is an excellent preparation for employment.
        Adaptability - The ERASMUS experience allows you to become immersed in another
        culture, make new friends, obtain a working knowledge of another language and develop
        skills that will contribute to your employability.
        Maturity - You will have acquired life skills which cannot be taught and which may take
        others significantly longer to acquire.
        Employability - The overall educational advantages of studying your subject in another
        country will contribute considerably to the enhancement of your employability.

Q. 3.   What do I have to do if I want to study abroad during my degree course?
A. 3.   You need to ask your Course Co-ordinator if your course can include an ERASMUS
        exchange programme. If it is possible, then you need to fill in an ERASMUS Outgoing
        Student       Application      Form,        which       you       can      download         at .
        After you have completed your form and had it signed by your ERASMUS Departmental
        Co-ordinator (refer to a current list of EDCs in the Outgoing Student Guide), return it to
        the Europe Office by the 15th April for students wishing to go out in September or the 15th
        November for students wishing to go out in following February.

Q. 4.   Eligibility- what year of study can I go in?
A. 4.   You cannot participate on the ERASMUS exchange programme during your first year of
        study or in your final semester of your course. The period between this will then be
        subject to the requirements of the course you are taking.

Q. 5.   Where can I go?
A. 5.   It depends on what department you are from and what subject area you are studying.
        London Metropolitan University (LONDON MET) has agreements with a large number of
        European universities in different subject areas. To find out with which universities we
        have links with in your subject areas, please refer to the following link:

Q. 6.   Must I be fluent in another language?
A. 6.   Speaking, reading and writing English is a major asset but it can also be a serious
        disadvantage. Your peer group in other European countries can increasingly speak English
        fluently as well as their mother tongue and frequently at least one other European
        language. The ability to work in another language will not only enhance your enjoyment
        of living and working in another country but also enhance your employability

Q. 7.   How fluent?
A. 7.   For some links a good prior knowledge, such as A-level or AS-level, of the language is
        required. However, not all links require fluency. Many universities provide facilities for
        you to start learning a language and some European host universities even teach certain
        subjects in English. (For advice on what university may best suit you, please contact the
        Europe Office.) Do not let the lack of a language deter you however be realistic about
        your ability to manage studying in another language!

                                                       1                   Last updated: 5th February, 2007
Q. 8.    Can I study abroad if I am doing a Joint Degree/Modular Programme?
A. 8.    It will depend on whether LONDON MET has a link with a host university for at least one
         of your subject areas. For example, if you’re studying Computing and Business, LONDON
         MET only have links for Business. This means that may be able to spend one semester
         studying business only to complete the computing units at LONDON MET upon your
         return. It is important for you to note that it is not always possible to organise work your
         LONDON MET course requirements to fit in with the ERASMUS programme. It is
         recommended that you consult your course coordinator or Personal Academic Advisor
         (PAA) in the Undergraduate Centre or Department to see whether you can fit the
         programme into your degree.

         If LONDON MET has links in both of your subject areas at different host universities, then
         you may consider spending one semester at one institution to study one subject, followed
         by the another semester at the second institution studying the other subject, for those
         wishing to spend a full academic year abroad.

Q. 9.    Can I participate if I am a part-time student?
A. 9.    According to the guidelines set out by the ERASMUS Council, only full time students are
         eligible to take part. If your personal and academic criteria allows you to continue your
         degree programme full-time during the period of the placement (to find out you will have
         to consult your course co-ordinator), you may be able to participate in the ERASMUS
         exchange programme.

Q. 10.   I want to study at a European university but its semester starts during the time
         when I have exams. Can I still go abroad?
A. 10.   It is possible although it may be tricky! You can still go abroad if you can make
         arrangements with your department to take your exam while abroad. This however will
         cost you about 100 pounds for the privilege! You would also need to contact the partner
         institution to ask them whether they are willing to set the exam conditions up for you. If
         they are (which normally is the case), you will then need to contact our exams
         department to pass on all the relevant details to them, so that they can organise it for
         you. Your EDC or PAA should be able to help you organise this, otherwise contact the
         Europe Office for assistance.

Q. 11.   What does it cost? - Tuition fees
A. 11.   Home/EU students
         Outgoing ERASMUS students, (classified by the University as either home/EU students)
         who spend a FULL ACADEMIC year abroad at a host university, will not be required to pay
         ANY tuition fees to LONDON MET. You will not be required to pay the tuition fee to the
         host university either. The UK Government will meet the cost of the tuition fee for this
         entire period as an initiative to encourage student mobility within Europe.

         If however, you prefer to study for just one semester abroad on the ERASMUS
         programme, you will pay the normal tuition fee for the semester to LONDON MET (or the
         part of it which is not paid by your Local Education Authority) but no fee to the partner

         *Please note that if you decide to undertake an optional language course at the host university for whatever
         period abroad, it may require a small fee that you will be responsible for paying .

         LONDON MET International students
         If you are classified by LONDON MET as an Overseas student for tuition purposes, your
         will be required to pay the standard tuition fees to LONDON MET. You will not be eligible
         to receive the full year abroad waiver or pay the local student fee tuition amount for your
         exchange period abroad. You are welcome to participate in the ERASMUS exchange
         programme and like all other LONDON MET students, you will also not be expected to pay
         tuition fee to the host university.

                                                               2                      Last updated: 5th February, 2007
Q. 12.   What does it cost? - Other costs
A. 12.   Obviously, during your period of study in the host university you will need to pay for your
         accommodation, general living costs, books and entertainment. While in some countries
         this may be more expensive than at home, in other countries the strength of the UK pound
         makes it very affordable for you to live/study. The Europe Office advises you to do some
         research on the local living costs of the country so you can budget accordingly.

Q. 13.   Can I receive any help towards costs that I will incur when studying abroad?
A. 13.   During your study period you will be eligible to continue to receive any student grant or
         loan to which you are normally entitled, from national or other sources, and you may also
         obtain an ERASMUS student grant.

Q. 14    What is the ERASMUS student grant?
A. 14.   You may be eligible to receive an ERASMUS grant, which contributes towards the extra
         costs arising from studying abroad, but it will not cover all normal student living expenses
         and it is not automatic. ERASMUS grants in the UK are paid via your home institution,
         which receives an allocation from the UK ERASMUS governing organisation for distribution
         to students. It must be remembered that as the grant is cash limited there may be
         situations in which you will not receive an ERASMUS grant. For criteria and restrictions,
         please consult Appendix I of the Outgoing ERASMUS Student Guide at the following link ERASMUS grants (if awarded)
         are paid in addition to the standard grant for those students still receiving LEA, SED,
         NEDNI grants.

Q. 15.   What criteria do I need to meet in order to qualify for an ERASMUS grant?
A. 15.   You must:
          be an EU national, a national of an EEA country, or possess a valid UK residence
          be registered as a full time student at a UK institution of Higher Education;
          spend an approved study period of between 3 to 12 months at an institution in
         another EU, EEA or "partner" country;
          Not have received a previous ERASMUS grant.
         However, satisfying these criteria does not guarantee that you will receive a grant and
         because the grants are allocated on an annual basis your university will not be able to
         give you any guarantee in advance.

Q. 16.   How much money will I receive?

                                                       3                   Last updated: 5th February, 2007
A. 16.   The amount of grant allocations varies from year to year. It is usually decided by the
         ERASMUS governing organisation in relation to the previous year’s number of outgoing
         students. A second allocation, if available, is a division of what's left over.

         The amount you receive will depend on how much has been allocated to LONDON MET by
         the ERASMUS governing body for distribution to students, and possibly dependent on
         which country you are going to - and it changes every year. LONDON MET will only be
         notified about the allocation of grant in July/August prior to the next academic year.
         Therefore we are unable to quote exactly what the monthly allocations will be.

         However, as a guide, we can list the grant entitlement that was available to students in
         previous years – please note that there is no guarantee that the grant awarded will be in
         the region of these amounts. It is always possible, that the grant amount could be greatly

          Academic   Initial  Allocation   Second Allocation – per month (Europe Office     Total   monthly
          year       Grant (per month)     notified of this allocation in February/March)   grant

          2004-      € 170                 € 170                                            € 272
          2006-      € 270                 Not yet known                                    € 270

Q. 17.   When do I actually receive this ERASMUS grant?
A. 17.   The ERASMUS grant is paid in one/two instalments (depending on the length of your
         period abroad): LONDON MET aims to make the first payment within the first month of
         the commencement of your placement. Payment however is dependant on how efficiently
         you return all related ERASMUS documentation upon arrival at your host university. The
         grant will be paid into the UK bank account nominated on your initial application form.

         Students planning to study abroad for a full academic year, will receive in the initial
         payment, 5 months of your allocation. The second 5 month payment will be made after
         the commencement of the 2nd semester period.

         If a second round of grants is made available by the ERASMUS governing organisation,
         LONDON MET will notify students accordingly. This could mean that some students may
         not get an additional payment until June/July of the academic year they went out. For
         further details, please consult the Guide for Outgoing Erasmus Students or call the Europe

Q. 18.   What about exams?
A. 18.   While abroad, you are required to comply with the examination procedures set by the
         host institution. This may involve written papers and/or oral examinations. Unless there
         are good reasons to do otherwise, the language of the examination will be the one of the
         host institution. In general, you will not have to pass an exam a second time at your
         home university to receive academic recognition for it.

Q. 19.   How will I get recognition for my academic performance? What is ECTS?
A. 19.   The host university will issue you an academic transcript in recognition of your study
         during your period abroad, usually with an ECTS grade attached. ECTS stands for
         "European Credit Transfer System". It is an arrangement between European educational
         institutions which makes it possible for the grades you received at your host university to
         be translated into equivalent U.K recognised grades. For further information, please
         consult the Guide for Outgoing ERASMUS students.

Q. 20.   Will I have to organise my own accommodation?
A. 20.   In most cases, the host university will assist you in finding accommodation. When the

                                                           4                  Last updated: 5th February, 2007
         host university sends an information pack to you, it should include information and/or an
         application form regarding accommodation. Make sure you fill it in and return it to them
         before the deadline - as places get booked up early and very quickly - and they will do the
         best they can in order to help you to find a place to live.

Q. 21.   Will I have to give up my rented accommodation in London when I go abroad?
         Will the university provide assistance with renting it out so that I will not lose it
         while I am away?
A. 21.   It is up to you whether you give up your rented accommodation or rent it to friends while
         you are on your placement. Unfortunately, the university does not provide help with
         subletting your accommodation. However, if you cannot find candidates to whom you
         could hand over your place, the Accommodation Offices in Calcutta House or Tower
         Building might be able to help.

Q. 22.   Is it possible to take my family abroad with me?
A. 22.   Yes, but you will not receive extra grant for your family. Also, it is unlikely that the host
         university will have appropriate accommodation for families. Therefore, you may have to
         do some research on accommodation, jobs and possibly schools, prior to your departure.

Q. 23.   Is insurance compulsory? Will the university provide me with insurance?
A. 23.   If you cannot afford travel insurance, then you cannot afford to go! While the Europe
         Office will organise you to be covered by the University Insurance policy, the coverage is
         for emergencies while abroad only. It is very basic and does not cover you for travel
         associated claims, such as travel delays, cancellations, lost/stolen items etc.
         The Europe Office strongly recommends that you take out separate, travel insurance for
         the period that you are abroad. Make sure that you have emergency coverage for a
         minimum of £1,000,000 medical costs and repatriation, in the event of an
         accident/severe illness while you are away.
         Some host universities also require that you have proof of insurance before you enrol.
         Even if the host university do not insist on private insurance, it is extremely important
         that you have additional travel insurance or as a minimum, an E111 EHIC card. More
         information about insurance can be found in the Outgoing Students Guide at

Q. 24.   Where can I get my ISIC card? (International student Identity Card)
A. 24.    It is very useful to obtain an ISIC cards as it is recognised world-wide and they will provide
         you with discounts in a large number of areas, eg. Accommodation, travel, entertainment,
         clothing etc. You can find out more about it and you can apply for one at this web address:

                                                        5                    Last updated: 5th February, 2007

Shared By: