Sing a song
We are the world.
1.How long does it take for the
Earth to go around the Sun?
• 2.How long does it take for the Moon to go
around the Earth?
• 3. How many planets are there? What are
their names ?
4. What is a star? What are their names?
5. What is a comet?
6. Who were the first people to visit the
7. Have spaceships without people on board
visited the planets?
8. Why do people become weightless in space?
9. What was the first living thing to travel in
• 1. The Earth orbits the Sun once every year.
• 2. How long does it take for the Moon to
go around the Earth.
• 3. Nine; Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars,
Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.
• 4. A huge ball of burning gas; No one knows--
• 5. A comet is a ball of ice and dust that goes
around the Sun. It has a tail and is much
smaller than a planet.
• 6. The American astronauts Neil Armstrong
and Edwin Aldrin.
• 7. Yes, these space probes have flown round all
the planets and have landed on Mars and Venus.
• 8 . They do not have the gravity of Earth to pull
• 9. The dog called Laika was sent up into orbit
by the Russians. It died after one week in space
when it ran out of oxygen .
• An astronaut is a spaceman/spacewoman.
The one in the picture is wearing a spacesuit
and is doing a space walk. Astronauts are
often specially trained pilots. As well as
controlling spaceships, they carry out
• Rockets were first used by the Chinese as
fireworks and weapons 700 years ago.Many
rockets are now ued to launch spaceships
from Earch into space. Rockets are
complicated and very expensive to build.
A telescope makes distant things seem near.
The telescope was first used for astronomy
by Galileo. Today giant telescopes weigh
over 500 tonnes.
• The word comet came from a Greek word
meaning long-haired. Now we say a comet
has a tail, not long hair. Hundreds of comets
travel around the sun. Most are balls of dust
and ice, invisible from the Earth. The best
known comet is Halley’s Comet. It passes
near Earth every 76 years. It was last seen
in 1986. Comets were once believed to
bring bad luck.
Write the new words on the
Play a game “touch the words”
• Practice：Use the words to complete the
• navigator, earth-type, steel, storeys, pilot,
monster, trap, dawn, unexplored, glowing,
• 1. The person who finds the way on a
planet or a ship is the---. The person who
drives the plane or the ship is the ------.
2. The first part of the day is called the -----.
• 3.Most buildings in our city have many ----
4. Something big, ugly and frightening is
5. A ------ is used for catching animals and
people. Sometimes it is made of a strong
• 6. --------means shining in the dark.
• 7. We call a place --------- when people
have never visited it to find out about it.
• 8. A-------- is a metal object that can pull
other metal objects towards it.