SOCIAL WORK PLACEMENT
INTERVIEW SAMPLE QUESTIONS
1. Please explain your interest in applying for this placement.
2. What are some of the therapeutic approaches that you have used in the past to work with
3. What is your understanding of the terms “strength based” and “client centred”, and how do you
incorporate these approaches in your work?
4. Please give an example of a challenging client you have worked with and what steps you took
to develop a service/treatment plan.
5. Describe a situation in which your work was criticized and your response to the criticism. How
did you handle the situation?
6. How do you maintain an effective working relationship with your supervisor, your co-workers
and other students?
7. Time management, multi tasking and flexibility are essential in this placement position. Can
you explain how you manage your time and give an example where you had to produce a
something deliverable within a tight deadline?
8. Please give an example of a time where you made a mistake. What are the steps you took to
address this mistake?
9. How will you set learning goals and objectives for yourself? Please give one example of a goal
for placement (such as a clinical goal, professional goal etc.).
10. What is your experience in facilitating therapeutic groups?
11. Please describe three essential skills of an effective group facilitator.
12. Imagine you are facilitating a group. You have just begun and you get up from your chair to
get something. When you return to your chair, another client has placed his foot on your chair
and seems unwilling to move. How would you respond to the situation?
13. What skills would you like to develop as a student at this agency?
14. What practice philosophy guides you in your practice? Tell me about a time when you
employed this philosophy in your previous volunteer/placement experiences.
15. What do think would be the most difficult aspect about working with children and families
receiving child protection intervention? What support would you need to manage these
16. What two strengths would you bring to a placement at this agency?
17. Tell me about a time when you felt you did a good job? How did you know? What are you
proudest about in that experience?
18. Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new. How did you approach that
experience? What was helpful for you to learn?
19. Where do you see your practice in the next 5 years?
20. What expectations do you have for a field instructor?
21. Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a colleague or supervisor. What was the
outcome? What was your role in that outcome?
22. Have you ever worked with a multidisciplinary team? Tell us about a time where you were a
member of a successful team, whether it was in a work environment, or on a school project.
What were the factors that contributed to the success of the team and what was your
23. This position requires an individual who can work independently. Can you give us an example
of an assignment you have worked on independently in the past?
24. We are confronted with situations that require sensitivity to individuals with physical, emotional
and mental problems. Please give an example of how you handled a challenging situation.
25. What kind of experience do you have working in the areas of violence?
26. What types of self-care practices do you engage with?
SOME INTERVIEW TIPS
Arrive early (10-15 minutes before your scheduled interview)
Come prepared with a copy of your resume and contact information of references
If you speak any other languages be sure to highlight this explaining your fluency (oral, written)
Be prepared to ask questions – you are also interviewing the agency
o What have other students in the past done at the agency?
o Will you have the opportunity to learn about/shadow others in various roles at the
o What is the supervision style of the field instructor?
o What is a typical day look like for a placement student?
o Are there any requirements for this placement:
Police Check (Regular or Vulnerable Sector)
Mask Fit Test
Valid Drivers License
Own vehicle for placement (inquire about the type of insurance you need)
Must be available on specific days/evenings/weekend or for certain