SUMMARY OF COVERAGE
To: Parents or Guardians of Participants enrolled in
Syracuse University’s Summer Programs
Re: Summer Program Health Insurance
Syracuse University is pleased to provide your child or dependent with Accident &
Sickness Insurance for health care protection while participating at a Syracuse University
This insurance program covers participants for LIMITED sickness and injuries occurring
during their specified summer program. It does not provide hospital confinement or
major medical insurance as defined by the New York Insurance Department.
The insurance does offer the following maximum benefits:
1. $15,000 Accidental Death and Dismemberment Benefit;
2. $5,000 Accident Medical Expense Benefit;
3. $750 Sickness (Illness) Medical Expense Benefit.
The accident and sickness medical expense coverage is on an EXCESS basis over and
above any other group medical coverage such as the parent’s or guardian’s health
insurance or any government sponsored health insurance plan with the exception of
The following claim procedure should be followed whenever a Summer Program
participant receives medical treatment while participating in the Syracuse University
IN CASES WHERE THERE IS OTHER PRIMARY INSURANCE:
1. Submit the medical bill as a claim to your primary health insurance company;
2. If there is any remaining balance due (e.g. co-pays or deductibles), contact Risk
Management at 315-443-2804 to request a claim form.
3. Risk Management will submit the claim to Hartford who will pay whomever you
have indicated on the claim form for any remaining covered expenses up to the
Hartford policy maximum.
IN CASES WHERE THERE IS NO OTHER PRIMARY INSURANCE
1. Contact Risk Management at 315-443-2804 to request a claim form.
2. Submit the medical bill, Hartford Claim Form, and a signed
statement indicating that there is no primary insurance coverage to
Risk Management at Syracuse University.
3. Risk Management will submit the claim to Hartford Insurance who will then
process the claim to determine no other primary exists. Once confirmed, the
Hartford policy will then become primary and