Mental Health Matters Job Description
Job Title: Quality Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive Officer
Reporting to: Deputy Director Corporate Services
Key purpose of post
The Key purpose of this post is to manage the organisations quality systems, including the
Internal and External Quality Framework and Accreditation, Information Technology System,
Health and Safety and the Central Administration Function. It is anticipated that the remit of
this post will grow along with the organisations growth and development.
These duties are to be carried out in the context of Mental Health Matters value system and in
compliance with best practice and as outlined in MHM’s Code of Conduct.
To achieve the objective of this role, the Quality Manager must have necessary competencies
These will include being able to demonstrate knowledge of:
How to be non-judgemental
How to manage a diverse team
How to promote anti-discriminatory practice
How to maintain confidentiality
How to promote equality and diversity
How to engender empowerment and well-being
How to promote equal opportunities
How to identify and assess risk in compliance with Mental Health Matters Policy and
Duties to include:
1. To fulfil a key role within the organisation Corporate Services management in
conjunction with Human Resources and Training & Development functions.
2. To work directly with the Senior Management Team in the identification and
establishment of measurable internal quality systems enabling Mental Health
Matters to operate to the highest possible standards of quality service delivery.
3. To chair Mental Health Matters Health & Safety Committee and to ensure
appropriate reporting to the Board of Trustees.
4. To actively participate and where appropriate lead all meetings relevant to remit
(e.g. Policy, Procedure and Process Group, Quality & Strategy Meeting)
5. To provide line management to the Office Manager and in turn the Central
6. To manage the organisations web based information management and technology
7. To work in consultation with the Senior Management Team and other key
stakeholders in the identification, implementation and monitoring of external quality
accreditation (including ISO, IiP)
8. To act as a source of knowledge and in an advisory and supportive capacity to the
organisation in the implementation of all quality systems.
9. To develop, enhance and manage central systems for auditing the organisations
10. To provide reports to the Director of Operations & Deputy Director Corporate
Services regarding the findings of operational quality systems.
11. To provide reports and make recommendations to the Deputy Director Corporate
Services regarding the findings of both operational and organisation wide quality
12. To ensure that there are systems in place to involve service users and carers in
Mental Health Matters quality framework.
13. To work in consultation with the Training and Human Resource Teams to ensure
that all issues relating to the quality framework and MHM’s workforce are
14. Any Other Duties
1. To actively promote a positive image of Mental Health Matters.
2. To actively promote mental health issues positively.
3. To ensure good communications both within Mental Health Matters and external
4. To attend all supervision sessions or notified meetings where relevant.
5. To attend all mandatory training sessions.
1. To ensure that all authorisation procedures are adhered to in line with Mental Health
Matters finance authorisation procedures.
2. To ensure the flow of relevant information to the Finance Department.
Communication & administration:
1. To keep all relevant records and information pertaining to area of responsibility and
report information, where necessary your line manager, whilst working within the
agreed administration procedures.
2. Ensure that your line manager is fully informed of any issues, which may effect the
quality of service provision.
3. To attend all relevant meetings both internally and externally.
4. To provide reports as and when required.
Line management responsibilities:
1. To promote and demonstrate a pro-active management and leadership style to all
staff within area of responsibility to ensure good working practices.
2. To ensure and demonstrate that all legal and contractual requirements in relation to all
staff are adhered to in accordance with agreed procedures and good practice.
3. To ensure and demonstrate that all training needs are identified, met and updated with
all relevant changes and practices, and within budget.
4. To be responsible for the recruitment and performance review of staff and volunteers
within area of responsibility in accordance with agreed HR, financial and other
procedures, including the induction foundation programme and probation period
All employees have a responsibility to undertake training and development as required. They
also have a responsibility to assist, where appropriate and necessary, with the training and
development of fellow employees.
All employees have a responsibility of care for their own and others health and safety.
This job description is not exhaustive and is subject to continuous change, in consultation
with the postholder.
Please note this job description gives a statement of the general purpose of the job and
provides an outline of the duties and responsibilities involved. This does not constitute a
contract of employment.
Job Title: (Deputy Director Corporate Services)
Job Title: (Chief Operating Officer)
Person Specification – Quality Manager
REQUIREMENTS ESSENTIAL DESIRABLE
QUALIFICATIONS NEBOSH Relevant Auditing / Quality
Standards Qualification or
Experience (e.g. ISO / IiP)
NVQ 4 / 5 in Quality and / or
EXPERIENCE Experience of working in a Experience of working in a
managerial role in Quality comparable role within
Management. mental health services and /
or the care sector.
Experience of working with
Information Technology / Web
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE Time management
Change management & the ability
to motivate others
Excellent written and verbal
Effective Presentation Skills
Organised & Systematic approach
to Quality Management
To chair and actively participate in
Administrative and financial skills
An understanding of team work
Appropriate decision making
Work well under pressure
Ability to deliver training and
guidance in respect of areas of
To actively make a positive
contribution to improving the
quality of life for people with
mental health problems
Ability to acknowledge diversity
and promote anti-discriminatory
practice/equal opportunities and
Excellent Interpersonal Skills