New or Replacement: New
Date posted: 02/08/2008
Position Title: Chief Technology Officer
Location: San Antonio main campus
Office/Department: Information Technology
FLSA Status (Exemption Category): Exempt (Administrative)
Reports To: Executive Vice President
Supervisory Responsibility: Network/Telecommunications, User Support and Instructional
Technology, and Administrative Technology units
Created/Revised by (Date): David Estes, Ph.D., Executive Vice President
Approved by (Date): Sylvia de Hoyos, Assistant Director of Human Resources
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is responsible for creating a vision and strategic roadmap for
information technology services at Our Lady of the Lake University; creating university-wide
technical policies and standards; developing, marketing and supporting additional centralized
infrastructure services; building a strong customer service orientation within the Information
Technology division. Reporting to the Executive Vice President, the CTO has overall
accountability for university-wide computer operations and services. Leads, directs and/or oversees
strategic and tactical operations and services including, but not limited to: telecommunications,
networks, servers, mainframes, data storage, data and network operations, systems security,
business continuity and disaster recovery, systems administration, software licensing, hardware and
software acquisition, deployment and administration, distributed platforms, desktops, and
vendor/contracts management. Develops annual operating budget and/or provides fiscal direction
for unit technology, equipment, and/or systems, with an emphasis on the cost-effectiveness of the
enterprise platforms; including accountability for the availability and performance of the enterprise
platforms. Directs and/or manages employees directly and through three directors.
1. Provides leadership for development of the university’s major academic and administrative
computing activities as well as voice and data communications.
2. Develops a university-wide strategic technology plan that ensures the availability of resources
to meet projected educational and administrative needs, including disaster recovery plans for
mission critical systems.
3. Develops university-wide policies and standards related to information systems resources and
4. Develops assessment methods that contribute to continuous improvement and appropriate
resource allocation in the Information Technology division.
5. Supervises the directors of Network/Telecommunications, User Support and Instructional
Technology, and Administrative Technology.
6. Develops and manages Information Technology budgets, and oversees the purchase of
information technology products and services.
7. Develops within the Information Technology division a culture that supports the university’s
customer service priority.
8. Advises administration, faculty, and staff on the effective and efficient application of
information technologies in teaching and administration.
9. Provides input to the university’s strategic plan.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Strategic thinker and problem solver.
2. Open and collaborative leader who fosters teamwork.
3. Effective team member.
4. Excellent communication skills.
5. Commitment to continuous improvement.
6. Knowledge of informational technology issues as they apply to the higher education setting.
7. Sense of humor.
8. Ability to determine and communicate coherent direction in response to the needs of multiple
9. Ability to work effectively with others of diverse backgrounds.
10. Commitment to OLLU’s mission and identity as a Catholic university.
Experience and Education Required:
1. Bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, business or related areas. Master’s
2. 10+ years of progressively responsible information technology experience in IT infrastructure,
strategic planning and development, project management, and policy development and related
3. Demonstrated success working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
4. Knowledge of Datatel Colleague and Unidata database preferred.
5. Professional Certifications desirable.
Minimum Starting Salary: (Actual salary offered subject to qualifications)
Applicant deadline: Open until filled
OLLU is a Catholic university that seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality
faculty, staff, and administrators. OLLU is committed to diversity and strongly encourages
applications from women and minorities. EOE