How are products made in the
What is Quality Assurance
and Quality Control?
Methods of manufacturing
One off production – only making one item to the
customers specification ie. Wedding cake.
Batch production – making identical products when a
certain quantity is required. 1000 cheese pasties
followed by 1000 ham and onion pasties. Products can
be made according to demand.
Mass production – the process is divided into stages.
Workers learn the part of the manufacturing process
and become very skilled. The production line can be
varied from day to day. E.g. Vanilla Swiss Roll
Continuous production – A production line is set up and
produces good continuously, often 24 hrs a day and 7
days a week – e.g. coca cola cans
How can a factory maintain quality?
Quality Assurance – this is
concerned with the overall
standard of quality of the
factory processes. It involves
everyone in the business, from
lab technicians to clerical staff.
It should include:-
• Raw material specifications
• Suitability of the suppliers
• Recipe information
• Manufacturing methods
• In-put, process specifications and
feedback for control
• Appropriate storage
• Distribution and recall control
This is part of the quality assurance.
It involves sampling and testing a
product as it is being made, to
ensure it fits within the designated
tolerances. QC can take the form
• Weight checks- under or over-weights are
• Visual checks for checking condition of
food, seal etc.
• Computer monitoring for colour / shape
• Organoleptic – tasting and smelling, sensory
testing on delivery and final product.
• Inspection for quality to match the
• Chemical analysis – samples tested for
chemical contamination and nutritional
• Microbiological analysis – testing for
• Temperature – at various stages from
delivery to cooking temperatures, often
• Metal detectors – identify any metal from
TQM – Total Quality Management
JIT - Just in time stock control
This involves all This is a system
workers in the quality which orders stock to
assurance arrive for when and
procedures. Each where it is needed.
stage of the It prevents the
manufacturing unnecessary use of
process is checked by storage space and
the next section on staff required to
the line. monitor the safe
Describe (giving reasons )your choice
of method for the manufacture of
Ravioli. 6 marks
Describe 3 quality control checks
which would be carried out during
production. 3 marks
Explain Write a definition of TQM and