Metals or Non-Metals Lab
To determine if seven elements are metals or non-metals, or possibly metalloids.
Testing Physical Properties:
1. Record the appearance of each sample (color, luster, form, crystals?)
2. Test for malleable (can be flattened) or brittle (shatters). Gently smack a sample
of each element with hammer.
3. Test for conductivity; touch the electrodes to the surface of the element.
Light = conductor
Testing Chemical Properties:
1. Using 7 test tubes, place a small sample of each element in test tube (2cm wire
or 0.5-1.0gr if solid). Add 5ml Hydrochloric acid, gas bubbles = reaction.
2. Using 7 test tubes collect another sample of each element, Add 5ml Copper
Chloride (CuCl2). Look for slow changes in appearance, time it!
Conclusion: (pg. 107)
1. Sort the seven elements into two groups based on results and list properties of
each group (conductors, etc)
2. Identify any elements that did not clearly fit into either group
Element Appearance Mall/Brittle Conducts Reacts w/ React w/ CuCl2