US ARMY, TACOM-ARDEC, PICATINNY ARSENAL, NEW JERSEY 07806
POSITION: HEAD LIFEGUARD (Pool Deck Operator) ANNOUNCEMENT #: 03-0013
PAY PLAN/SERIES/GRADE: NF-0189-02 OPENING DATE: 02 January 2003
PAY: (Pay Band I) $10.00 TO $11.50 PER HOUR CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2003
LOCATION: FROG FALLS (AQUATIC PARK)
*OPEN AND CONTINUOUS*
(This position is considered “open and continuous” which means you may apply for this position on an
open and continuous basis. Positions may or may not be available at time of application. Applications
will be held on file until the end of the year and will be considered when a vacancy occurs.)
WORK SCHEDULE: FLEXIBLE (ON-CALL) (either scheduled or as-needed tour of duty, 00-40 hours
AREA OF CONSIDERATION: All interested U.S. Citizens and Legal Immigrants.
Performs lifeguarding duties and limited management functions.
Directs the operation of the pool and the work force of assigned lifeguards. Ensures the safe operation of the pool, its filtration
system, water balance, pool chemistry and performs water testing and disinfections. Keeps accurate records and adequate
Responsible for safeguarding the lives of persons using the swimming pool. Rescues swimmers and administers first aid as
required. Ensures that safety rules are followed.
- Responsible for all pool maintenance.
- Responsible for completing water tests according to Standard Operating Procedure every two hours and must take
corrective action when the water chemistry is not within healthful limits. Must record this information in the pool log.
- Must backwash filters on a bi-weekly basis.
- Must maintain the chemical room in a neat fashion.
- Must change filter baskets twice a day or as needed.
- Must vacuum the pool to keep it clean for our patrons.
- Must skim and clean the pool on a daily basis.
- Must maintain the pool equipment including AquaMax, vacuums, filters and chlorine pumps. When unable to fix a
problem, must report the problem to management for appropriate action.
- Must maintain a daily log of chemical levels and follow appropriate procedures to reorder chemicals as needed.
- Must test the alkalinity of the balance tank at least once per day and add chemical as needed.
- Responsible for the general upkeep of the pool, the water and the deck.
- Responsible for maintaining the aesthetic appearance of the water, the deck, and the features.
- Responsible for evaluating fecal contamination and suggesting appropriate responses to the management.
- Responsible for responding to customer complaints about the water, the deck or the pool and making an effort to
remedy their concerns.
- Works with management to provide activity programming for Frog Falls on scheduled days. Plans and implements
activities for our members and their guests.
- Maintains an accurate log of any maintenance problems observed and relays information to management for
- Works with management to prepare and conduct In-Service Training on a weekly basis.
- Provides support to lifeguard staff by coaching, encouraging and when necessary, reprimanding staff.
- Will remain outside on the deck performing diaper checks, interacting with customers, maintaining the cleanliness of
the park, supervising lifeguard staff and performing hourly walk-through to ensure the cleanliness of eating areas,
restrooms and the park in general.
- Maintaining accurate records of employee call outs, no call/no show, uniform violations and performance problems.
- Ensures that the first aid log is being kept accurately and that complete incident reports are filled out for any injured
that requires more than a band-aid. Including bee stings bumps and bruises requiring an ice pack and any other
- Maintains an accurate of any maintenance problems observed and relays information to management for appropriate
- Performs duties that a lifeguard or head lifeguard would also do.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Lifeguarding Certifications: (We accept the following Certifications)
Red Cross “Today or Training” Life Saving Certificate (Must be updated every 3 years)
Boys Scouts of America
National Pool and Water Park Lifeguard Training
2. First Aid Certifications: (We accept the following Certifications)
Standard Red Cross First Aid Course Certificate (Must be updated every 3 years)
National Safety Council
3. Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certifications: (We accept the following Certifications)
American Red Cross (Must be updated yearly)
American Heart Association
National Safety Council
4. Must pass medical exam (medical certificate of physical suitability for a strenuous and stressful
5. Certify Pool Operator Certification (CPO) and/or Aquatic Facility Operator Certification (AFO).
This is required and must be completed within 6 weeks of acceptance of the position.
6. Must be mature and responsible. Must be self-motivated and action oriented. Must be willing to
work in the sun and the heat. Excellent customer service and a team-oriented attitude are necessary.
CERTIFICATES MUST BE ATTACHED. VALID AND UP TO DATE PRIOR TO APPOINTMENT.
HOW TO APPLY: All applicants must submit the following:
1. DA 3433 (Nonappropriated Fund Employment Application).
2. Copy of latest DA 3434 (if current or former NAF employee).
3. Copy of latest performance appraisal (if current or former NAF employee).
4. If prior military service, copy of DD 214 (PART 4).
5. If claiming Spouse Employment Preference (SEP), copy of spouse's orders. Refusal by the spouse to
participate in established recruitment procedures (i.e., interview, KSA’s where required, etc.) is
considered a declination of employment and is a basis for termination of SEP entitlement for the current
PCS of the sponsor.
6. If claiming Involuntarily Separated Members (ISM), copy of DD 214, or DD 1173 for family
members, or a copy of official letter from Department of Army indicating eligibility.
SEP and ISM Preference is terminated upon acceptance or declination of any continuing position, whether
or not preference was applied
SPECIAL CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All NAF employees are required to designate a financial
institution to which their pay can be directly deposited via Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT).
Background Checks, References and a Physical Examination as stated in AR 215-3 must be successfully
completed and maintained.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION: Call (973) 724-2261, Nonappropriated Fund Civilian Personnel Office,
Building 1 Ramsey Avenue, located in the Civilian Personnel Advisory Center, Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
07806. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. PLEASE FAX YOUR
APPLICATION TO (973) 724-6311.
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR APPOINTMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN,
SEX, AGE, RELIGION, POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS, MEMBERSHIP OR NONMEMBERSHIP IN AN EMPLOYEE ORGANIZATION, PHYSICAL/MENTAL
HANDICAP THAT DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH THE ACCOMPLISHMENT OF THE JOB, OR ANY OTHER NONMERIT FACTOR.
DOD Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Visit our web site for other vacancies: