Syllabus of Semester System
For the trade of
ANIMAL HUSBANDRY & MILK PROCESSING
CRAFTSMEN TRAINING SCHEME
Designed in 2012
Government of India
Ministry of Labour & Employment
Directorate General of Employment & Training (D.G.E & T)
Central Staff Training and Research Institute
BLOCK - EN-81, Sector-V, Salt Lake City,
List of the trade committee approved the syllabus of semester system for the trade of Animal
Husbandry & Milk Processing held on 15-12-2011, at Chandigrah.
Shri S.J.Amalan, Director, CSTARI, Kolkata-91
Sl.No Name & Designation Organisation Remarks
1. Sukhdev Singh, Joint Director Advanced Training Institute, Chairman
Gobind Nagr, Kanpur PIN 208022
2. Dr. R.S. Dabur, Lala Lajpatrai University of veterinary Member
Professor & head of live stock & Agriculture Science,
products technology, Hissar, Haryana.
3. Dr Anurag Bhardwaj Central Institute for Reseach on Member
Principal Scientist Buffaloes, Sirsa road,
Hisar-125001 ( Haryana)
4. Dr. Amandeep Sharma, College of Dairy Science & Member
Asst. Professor (Dairy Engg.), Technology, Guru Angad Dev
Veterinary & Animal Science
5. Karnail Singh (Ex GM), College of Dairy Science & Member
Asst. Professor cum Plant Technology,
Manager, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary & Animal
Science University, GADVASU,
6. Dr. P S Minz National Dairy research Institute, Member
Scientist, ICAR, KARNAL- 132001
7. Dr. Moti Ram 596, Old Housing Board colony, Member
Ex Technical officer, NDRI Sector 13, Near old market
Karnal . Pin 132001 Haryana
8. Jasbir Singh Dairy Development Board, Member
Joint Director, SCO 1106-07, Sector 22-B,
9. J R Sharma RVTI for women, Member
Principal, near NFL Town ship
Panipat. Pin132106 Haryana.
10. Gurcharan Singh Advanced training Institute, Member
Asst. Director of Training, Gill Road, Ludhiana - 141003
11. H S Nigam, Advanced Training Institute, Member
Photographic Instructor Gobind Nagr, Kanpur PIN 208022
1. Name of the Trade: ANIMAL HUSBANDRY & MILK
2. NCO Code No. :
3. Duration of Craftsman Trg. :- 12 Months (Two Semester
having duration of six months)
4. Entry Qualification : 10th Class
5. Unit Strength : 20
6. Space Norm : 5 sqm../Trainee.
7. Instructor Qualification: Degree in Diary Technology with One year Experience or
Diploma in Diary Technology with 2 year Experience or
Passed Craftsman Training Course in Diary trade under
NCVT with Three year experience .
8. Power Norms : 40 KW, 3 phase.(power supply remains 40kW if other two
Courses under dairy trade are started)
9. Desirable qualification : Preference will be given to a candidate with CITS in Dairy
9. Terminal Competency : After completion of this training course the trainees shall
able to :
1. Explain the terms used in the field of Dairy.
2. Identify the different type of tools and machinery used in the dairy farm, Milk processing
3. Know the importance of milk, milk products and the preservation techniques.
4. Identification of breeds of cows & buffalos.
5. Operate the General Machinery involved in Milk Processing, farm handling etc.
6. Able to start his own entrepreneurship in the field of dairy .
Syllabus for the Trade of “Animal Husbandry & Milk Processing ” under CTS
Duration : One Year
Week Trade Theory Trade practical
1-2 Introduction to trade
Introduction & objective of trade, safety and Plat form tests for milk.
general precautions needed in the trade. Sampling of milk and milk products for microbiological
Present status and future prospects of Dairy and chemical analysis.
Industry. Role of Dairy animals in Indian Farming. Preservation of milk samples for Chemical analysis,
scope and importance of milk and milk processing. Sensory evaluation of milk.
Sensory and physic -Chemical properties Visit to a dairy plant.
of milk. Types of micro-organisms Knowledge of General Safety, Occupational
present in milk and their relation with health and hygiene.
public health. Grading & testing of milk quality,
preservatives, neutralizers and adulterants in milk
and their detection.
3 Functioning of chilling centers: Study of an immersion cooler, plate chillers, surface
milk reception, Straining, filtration and clarification cooler and farm milk cooler. Study of Filters & clarifiers
of milk, different methods of chilling and storage, for milk.
handling of milk at chilling center, modes of
transportation of chilled milk.
4-6 Sampling& milk diseases SNF & Fat test for milk. Milko tester.
Sampling procedures and testing the quality of milk Determination of Fat by Gerber method.
at reception dock, chilling center; maintenance of Determination of specific gravity of milk by lactometer.
milk receipt register. Determination of titratable acidity of milk
Identification and counting of different types of micro
Milk borne disease. Pathogens and causative organism. Presumptive test.
organism. Water borne disease, air borne disease, Demonstration of standard plate count method.
zoonotic diseases. Sediment test, Clot-on-boiling test. (COB)
Methyl blue reduction (MBR) test.
Cleaning and sanitation (manual and Clean-in- Procedures for CIP of different equipments.
7 Milk tankers & its cleaning Study of filters and clarifiers of milk and various parts
Milk reception at processing plant, milk tanks and of separators. Study of milk cans, milk tankers and
silos, milk can, can reception system, can washer, their cleaning procedures. Sampling from milk tanks.
straining, filtration and clarification of milk.
8-9 Quality tools Concepts Related practical
Need of the quality, quality concepts, Total quality
management (TQM), introduction to ISO 9000, ISO
14000, ISO 22000, 5S, kaizen, Quality standards,
FSSA, BIS specifications, Statistical quality
Control, Quality assurance, TQC, measurement
10 Dairy equipments Study of milking machine, storage tanks, pateurizer,
Overview of dairy equipments, milking machines, homogenizer, cream separator, packing machine,
its types, milk processing and packing equipment. steam kettles, multipurpose VAT, butter chrum, ghee
Its preventive maintenance. kettle, ghee clarifier, their care and maintenance.
11 Milk Costing Chemical quality of milk. Reception, weighment and
Pricing of milk, composition of milk, factors sampling of milk.
affecting composition of milk; nutritive value of milk.
12-14 Milk & safety Separation, standardization and Homogenization of
Study of types of milk, calculation of fat/SNF milk. Pasteurization of milk by HTST and LTLT
standardization. Need for regulations and methods.
standards for dairy products. Food safety rules and Preparation of full cream, standard, tonned and double
regulations for dairy products. Regulatory aspects tonned milk.
for setting an enterprise. Preparation of flavoured milk, chocolate milk, sterilized
Principle of homogenization of milk, Plate heat milk by batch method.
exchanger, tubular, shell and tube, scraped surface
etc. Importance of pasteurization ,methods of
pasteurization (LTLT, HTST) batch pasteurization.
Concept of Sterilization and UHT. Principle of
cream separation & storage of cream.
15 Milk Products Preparation and standardization of cream preparation
Methods of preparation of fermented milk products of butter, spiced butter milk, ghee and its packaging.
such as dahi/yoghurt, lassi. Making of Quality testing of butter & ghee.
paneer/cottage cheese etc. Preparation of dahi/yoghurt, lassi, paneer/cheese and
Study of methods of manufacture of Chhana and their quality testing.
channa based sweets, its packing, storage,
common defects and safety precautions. Prepration of chhana based sweets and its quality
Principle and methods of making Ghee making. testing.
Ghee standards and its quality parameters. Testing
of ghee quality.
16-18 Dairy products Preparation of Khoa, burfi, Peda, rabri and Gulab
Study of technology of Indian dairy products, heat jammaun & Its packing.
desiccated products like Khoa, burfi, Peda, rabri Preparation of ice cream, softy, kulfi, & its packing.
and Gulab jammaun. Its packing, storage, defects Physico-chemical and Sensory evaluation methods,
and safety precautions. test for fat, acidity ash ,moisture etc.
Study of methods of manufacture of ice cream,
softy, kulfi, equipment needed for production and
its packing and safety precautions.
Product balance sheet preparation.
Various standards of milk and milk products.
Difference between standard and compositions.
19 Milk Products Physico-chemical properties of condensed milk &
Study of manufacturing techniques of condensed dried milk , defects in condensed milk & dried milk.
milks, single effect evaporator, multiple effect
evaporator. Manufacture of dried milk, spray drier,
roller drier, fluidized bed drier and cyclone
Study of Material & machines, Form fill seal Use of different packing materials, study of manual
machine, hand seal machine, preformed cup fill sealing machine, form fill seal machine, packing of
and seal machine, MFD and date printer, milk in bottels, canes and sachets. Vacuum packing of
Dispensing of milk through bulk vending machine, paneer.
canes, cartoons sachets and bottles. Handling
losses and factors affecting milk solid losses.
Problem of storage, transportation and marketing
of dairy products.
22-23 Computers & Dairy accounts
Practical on computers
Knowledge of computer, Hardware and software,
operating system , Use of internet, email etc.
Specifications, selection & application of Computer,
inkjet printer, scanner, pen drive, UPS, CD etc. Handling of Audio-Visual Aids.
knowledge of software required for computer and Case study of a milk Co-operative
printers etc. working of different printers such as Society and Dairy entrepreneur.
DOT matrix, inkjet, deskjet, laser printer. Print
Accounts keeping, Maintenance of
Registers & Records, preparation of
Keeping dairy accounts etc.
Marketing of milk and milk products.
24 Industrial Training or Project work preferably in cross sectional trade.
25 - 26 Final examination.
List of tools and equipments for the trade of “Animal Husbandry & Milk Processing” for 1st Semester
A. Milk Processing tools
Sl.no. Item Qty. (nos)
1. Milk cans 40 lt 5
2. Milk can trolley for single can 1
3. Milk dump tank with weighing bowl 100 lt 1
4. Storage tank 1000 lt 2
5. Pasteurizer 1000 LPH min. with all accessories 1
6. Cream separator hand and electrical operated 1
7. Butter churn 50 kg cream 1
8. Homogenizer 100 kg milk 1
9. Butter melting vat 50 kg butter 1
10. Stratification tank 100 kg butter 1
11. Ghee boiler 100 kg butter 1
12. Ghee storage tank 100 lt 1
13. Ghee filling unit hopper type for 50 lt 1
14. Multipurpose vat 200lt. 2
15. Pouch filling machine 1
16. Paneer/cheese vat 100 lt 1
17. Paneer press (mini) pneumatic 1
18. Manual sealing machine 1
19. Butter Trolley 200 lt 1
20. Khoa making kettle 100lt. 1
21. Ice cream mix pasteurizer 100 lt 1
22. Homogenizer 100 lt 1
23. Aging vat 100lt. automatic 1
24. Batch freezer 10 kg 1
25. Ice cream cutter 1
26. Deep freezer (-20oC) 1
27. Cup sealing machine 1
28. Bottle capping and sealer 1
29. Softy making machine min 10lt 1
30. Kulfi making unit min 100 kulfies 1
31. Steel tables 2
32. Milk strainer 1
33. Butter scoop 1
34. Weighing balance 5kg and 50kg 1 each
35. Steam boiler 100kg/h 1
36. Refrigeration unit min 5 TR 1
37. Walk in cool chamber for storage for maximum 5oC temperature maintenance 1
38. Milk pumps of matching capacity installed for milk transfer in various sections 4 min.
39. Water pumps of matching capacity installed for water transport to the 4 min.
40. Tool kit for plumber, fitter and electrician. 1 each
41. Latest Computers with printer and internet connection 2 set
42. LCD Projector with Screen, laptop 1 set
43. Electrician complete tool kit 2 set
44. Refrigeration mechanic tool kit 2set
45. Plumber tool kit 2set
46. Fitter tool kit 2set
47. Bench Vice 150mm 2
48. Hand hacksaw with blade 2
49. Steel Almirah Big size 2
B. Animal Husbandry tools
Sl. no. Item Qty. (nos)
1. Stiff Brushes 5
2. Floor Brushes 6
3. Ear tags 100
4. Bull nose ring 2
5. Bull rope 10 ft.
6. Milk strainer 1
7. Drenching bamboo 1
8. Enamel tray 1
9. Tongs 2
10. . Mouth gag 1
11. Cattle Travis (wooden) 1
12. Sanitary Milking pails 2
13. Buckets 3
14. Milk feeding pail with nipple 1
15. Strip cup 5
16. Chains for cows 5
17. Chains for calves 5
18. Chaff cutter hand operated 1
19. Wheel harrows 1
20. Feed Grinder (Elec. Operated) 1
21. Centrifuge 1
22. Refrigerator 1
23. Water distillation apparatus 1
24. Spirit Lamp 10
25. Hot air oven 1
26. pH meter 2
27. Student’s microscope 2
28. Water bath 1
29. Gerber centrifuge 1
30. Lactometer with jars 15
31. Milk plunger 1
32. Sediment testing equipment 1
33. Klett Colorimeter 1
34. Sampler 1
35. Weighing balance Double pan 1
36. Ice cream freezer(Hand operated) 1
37. Ice cream cutter 2
38. Frying pan 2 litres 2
39. Steel Bhagona 5 litres 2
40. Sterilizer 1
41. Stacking Trolley 1
42. Trolley lift 1
43. Butter moisture balance 1
44. Measuring tape 2
45. Khurpi , Knife 3 each
46. Iron pans 1
47. Crowbar 1
48. Muffle furnace 1
List of Glass ware
49. Clinical thermometer 5
50. Thermometer 10
51. Automatic tilt measure for sulphuric acid 5
52. Automatic tilt measure for amyl alcohol 5
53. Pipette for milk 11.05 ml 10
54. Lactometer 5
55. Dairy Thermometer 5
56. Lactometer jars (aluminium 5
57. Burettes (0.01 sub-division) 10
58. Pipette 10 ml 10
59. Porcelain dish 10 ml cap. 5
60. Beakers 100 ml ,250ml, 500ml, 1000ml 10 each
61. Test tubes cap. 15 ml 50
62. Milk bottles 250 ml 100
63. Kjeldhal flask 500 ml cap 10
64. Round bottom Flask 1000 ml 10
65. Conical Flask 1000 ml 10
66. Funnels 10 cm dia 10
67. Measuring Cylinders 100 ml, 500ml,1000ml 2 each
68. Volumetric flask 100 ml 2
69. Reagent bottles 250 ml ,500ml 10 each
70. Soxhlet apparatus 6 set
71. Wash bottles cap. 500 ml 10
72. Glass rods 20
73. Indicator bottles 10
74. Sample bottles 50
75. Pipette, graduated 10ml 0.1 ml div. 5
76. Pipette, graduated 10 ml ,1 ml division 5
77. Jar with over lapping lid 10 dia 12” high 5
78. Spirit lamp 10
79. Syringe 5 ml 50
80. Rubber bulbs for suction 10
81. Physical Balance 10
82. Test tube stand 6 TT 15
83. Test tube holder 15
84. Alkali detergents 2 kg
85. Gerber centrifuge 1
86. Filter paper (11 cm dia) 2 box
87. Brushes to clean glassware 6
88. Plastic aprons 6
89. Microscope 5
90. Cotton apron 10
91. Gloves with sleeves 10
92. Plastic tubing 10
93. Sediment tester 2
LIST OF CHEMICALS, DETERGENTS AND PESTICIDES ETC.
94. Sulphuric Acid (C. grade) 5 lit.
95. Sulphuric Acid (A.R) 500 ml
96. Sodium Hydroxide 5 kg
97. Litmus paper Red/Blue 100
98. Filter paper(Whatman no. 1 and 40) 100
99. Petroleum ether (40° - 60° C) 500 gm
100. Copper Sulphate 500 gm
101. Sodium Sulphate 500 gm
102. Potassium Dichromate 500 gm
103. Sodium Bicarbonate 500 gm
104. Petroleum jelly/liquid paraffin 50 gm
105. Spirit 5 lts
106. Glucose 500 gm
107. Salt 1kg
108. Urea 500 gm
109. Petroleum ether 500 gm
110. Mustard oil 500 gm
111. Zinc Oxide 500 gm
112. Caustic potash 5kg
113. Phenol 500 gm
114. Alcohol 500ml
115. Teacher table 5’x2.5’x2.5’ 1
116. Teacher Chair 1
117. Student Chairs with writing plate form. 25
118. Computer Chair & Table for computer, printer 2 each
Syllabus for the Trade of “Animal Husbandry & Milk Processing ” under CTS
Duration : One Year
Week Trade Theory Trade Practical
1-2 Introduction to trade
Introduction & objective of trade, safety and general .
precautions needed in the trade. Related practical.
Present status and future prospects of Dairy
Industry. Role of Dairy animals in Indian Farming.
3-4 Important Indian and Exotic Dairy Breeds of Recognition of different breeds of cows and
cattle and Buffaloes, their origin, distribution, buffaloes. External anatomy of cow and buffalo
characteristics and milk yield.
Economic characters of dairy animals
Judging/selection, score coding and culling of dairy
5-6 Maintenance of hygienic conditions at farm. Sanitation in Visit to dairy farm,
dairy farm. Farm washes, availability, collection and Restrain of animals, Different type of knots,
utilization. Equipments used in farm, Castration
Clean milk production, disposal of dead animals. Grooming & washing of animals. Cleaning &
Control of animals. Identification of animals - tagging, sanitation of sheds.
tattooing, branding, electronic micro chips etc Tagging, tattooing, branding, electronic
Breeding, production & reproduction records at dairy microchipping
farm and their evaluation. Various Farm records
7 Principles and design of animal housing. Location and Drawing of sketch of floor plan for Different animal
layouts of animal sheds. Space requirements, Roofing houses.
material, Animal adoption to environment changes,
protection against heat & cold. Thermal ameliorative
measures, Bedding materials
8-9 Breeding and reproduction in animals - problems & Heat detection
solutions. Semen collection
Male and female reproductive organs. AI & PD
Identification of heat symptoms
Artificial Insemination and Pregnancy Diagnosis Care of new born calf, cutting and sealing of naval
Care and management of pregnant, recently calved cord. Parturition, disposal of placenta, Care of
animals and new born calves. down calvers, Use of disinfectants
10-12 Importance of feeding of dairy animal. Identification of various feeds, fodders, feed
Classification of feeds: supplements and additives and their physical
a) Roughages- leguminous and - non-leguminous evaluation.
- Succulent and dry Identification of animal feed adulterants by
b) Concentrates- energy and protein feeds physical methods.
c) Feed supplements- minerals and vitamins Concentrate feed preparation & formulation,
Classification and importance of nutrients - water, Grinding and mixing of feed Ingredients.
carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, minerals and vitamins. Preparation of area specific mineral mixture.
Importance of mineral mixture for dairy animals Preparation of hay and silage, TMR (Total Mixed
Round the year fodder production Ration)
13-15 Feeding requirements of various categories of dairy Proximate Analysis
animals - pregnant, dry, newly calved and lactating Calculation of feed and fodder requirement
Preparation of compound feed and complete feed
animals, new born calves, growing calves, heifers, bulls.
Balanced ration. blocks.
Compounding of feeds- objectives, advantages, methods Visits to feed laboratory and cattle feed
and machinery for compounding. manufacturing units.
Visit to markets for assessing availability and
knowing prices of feed ingredients.
16 Storage of concentrates-storage types, Packaging of mineral and concentrate mixture
Space requirement, cleaning and fumigation of stores, Storing of prepared feed. Packing and forwarding
precautions in use of pesticides, aflatoxins. of feeds materials, transportation.
Cleaning and fumigation of feed stores.
17-18 First aid for injured/sick animals. Observing signs of health in dairy animals.
Common contagious and infectious diseases, symptoms, Observing and identifying symptoms of specific
preventive measures and vaccination schedule. diseases in animals.
Ecto & Endo parasites Pressing of wounds.
19 Major nutritional disorders and their prevention - Milk
Fever, Grass Tetany, Rickets, Oesteomalacia, Anaemia,
Hemoglobinuria, Pica, Bloat, Ketosis etc.
20-21 Automation in dairy units - machine milking, watering Visit to automated dairy farm
and feeding, packaging of milk, value addition, Use of automatic milking machines
Waste Management - Use of cow dung for Bio gas plant Visit to biogas plant
and its effective utilization, Vermin compost
Buffalo calf rearing for meat production
22 Dairy economics Related practical.
Economics of milk production - small, medium & large
dairy units, Cost of milk production
Costs benefit analysis.
Insurance of animals, premium payment etc
23 Entrepreneurial skills. Related practical & Visit to a near by dairy farm
Need of entrepreneurship, leader ship, team work, for deep discussion and collection of data.
concept of society its registration, managing and
operation of a small business.
Government schemes promoting the small scale
business, sanction/permission needed from govt. agency
for starting a new dairy business. Banks loans,
24 Industrial Training or Project work preferably in cross sectional trade.
25 - 26 Final Examinations
Note:- Trainees should be taken to a Cattle Farm at least two days in a week to cover all the practical aspects
contained from week no. 1 to 13. Institute may tie up Memorandum of understanding with a cow farm house for
NOTE: - List of tools and equipments for the trade of “Animal Husbandry & Milk Processing” for 2nd
Semester same as 1st Semester.