Pediatric Growth and Development/ Health Promotion and Maintenance
1. Compare the definition of GROWTH with the definition of DEVELOPMENT. Explain the patterns of growth
and development ( cephalocaudal and Proximo-distal) as it relates to development.
2. What are the periods of greatest growth / patterns of growth spurts during childhood?
3. Describe how the following factors influence growth and development:
e. Health Status
f. Family, child-rearing philosophies
4. Review intellectual / thinking development by Piaget , Freud’s psychosexual stages of development , and
Erikson’s psychosocial stages of development and tell how these apply to the care of children. Focus on
5. What is the purpose of the Denver Development Test II (DDST-II)? How this test
administered and what is is the implication for nurses in the analysis of findings.
6. What is the purpose of play in the developmental process? What are the classifications of play
(functional play, symbolic play, games). What are the social aspects of play and be able to
7. What are the types of play and the major functions of play?
8. Why are immunizations important in decreasing childhood infections? What is the schedule
for childhood immunizations? (p. 69)
9. What are the nursing responsibilities related to administration of immunizations including
informed consent, children with uncertain history, precautions and contraindications, and
10. Following administration of an immunization, parents should be taught what information on
home care? (box 4-5)
11. Compare key nutritional concepts for children of all age groups. (see health promotion boxes in Chapter 5-
12. Compare and contrast age appropriate growth and development milestones for different
age groups in areas of:
a. Physical growth
b. Fine motor
c. Gross motor
d. Sensory ability
e. Cognitive development
f. Psychosocial development / skills
13.What are the major safety risks/ hazards for each of the following developmental stages?
b. Early Childhood (Toddler / Preschooler)
c. School age
14. What are the major prevention measures and injury prevention teaching for each of the
following safety problems:
c. Motor vehicle accidents
k. Bodily injury / fractures
15. What are common sources of poisoning in a child?
16. What should parents do prior to initiating any interventions for the child who has ingested
17. What is the focus of nursing care and management for the child who ingested a poison?
18. When should gastric lavage be implemented? When is gastric lavage contraindicated?
19. When is activated charcoal utilized? What are the nursing implications for administration?
20. What serum lab value would alert the nurse of potential for lead poisoning?
21. What are the clinical manifestations of lead poisoning?
22. What is the purpose of Chelation therapy?
23. What are preventive measures to teach parents to decrease the chance of lead poisoning?