The Crucible Anticipation Guide
Carefully read and consider each of the following statements. Then mark whether you
agree or disagree with each statement.
Agree Disagree Statement
1. You can always rely on a person in charge to do what's right
2. “All is fair in love and war.”
3. Adultery is acceptable in today’s society.
4. It is okay to lie or cheat as long as you don’t get caught.
5. Withholding the truth is the same thing as telling a lie.
6. There are times in life when you should lie.
7. Gossiping is a harmless but fun way to pass time.
8. If the majority of people believe a statement is true, then it must
9. In the judicial system, the accused is innocent until proven guilty.
10. I am willing to accept the consequences of my actions.
11. Going to church helps to make you a good person.
12. Most people have certain fundamental beliefs that they are not
willing to compromise.
10. I would never tell a lie about a friend
11. I would lie to help a friend or family member.a good person.
12. I would rather die than confess to something that I did not do.
Now choose one of the statements with which you strongly agree or disagree. Explain
your feelings about this statement in a brief paragraph that you write in the space
0 1 2 3 4 5
Did not meet Anticipation Anticipation Anticipation Anticipation Anticipation
outcome. guide is guide is guide is guide is guide is
incomplete. complete with complete; complete; complete;
no paragraph is paragraph is paragraph is
explanation. superficial clear with well
with some good developed
explanation. explanation. with
Reading and Viewing: GCO 4: Students will be expected to select, read, and view with
understanding a range of literature, information, media, and visual texts.
4.4 Use the cuing systems and a variety of strategies to construct meaning in reading and
viewing complex and sophisticated print and media texts
On this assessment, this outcome involves students using an anticipation guide as a pre-reading
strategy to The Crucible.