The Hot Zone – Chapter Seven/Eight – Language Arts Questions/Activities
Name_______________________________________ Date_________________ Period_____________
1. Compare the hospital conditions in Maridi to the conditions of our local hospitals. Compare the
cleanliness of the hospitals in America to the Yambuku Hospital.
Maridi Conditions Local Conditions Yambuku Cleanilness Local Cleanliness
2. What would happen if Ebola was let loose in a hospital? You would be safe if you are in a
hospital. Is this theory correct? Would you feel safe or unsafe? Give five reasons why you feel
safe or unsafe and one piece of evidence to support your position.
3. Why does the author shift to the present tense while telling the Nurse Mayinga story?
4. Johnson says “I’m glad nature is not benign.” What do you think he means? Do you agree or
disagree and why?
5. “The red chamber of the virus queen” is a metaphor to what other organism?
6. Define iatrogenesis and explain the emotion of the villagers to find out that the disease had
spread in the hospital among the nuns who had come to help them. What are some local
examples of this fear in our own neighborhood?
7. Describe the shape of the virus particle called the 'shepherd's crook."
8. Write a short story about what would happen if a student came back from Africa and brought
Ebola to the campus. Create your prewrite below and finish a clean rough copy by the due date.
Due Date is______________________________