A bot is a software version of a mechanical
robot, it is guided by algorithmic rules of
behaviour (if this happens, do that, if that
happens, do this)
But instead of clanking around a laboratory
room bumping into walls, software robots
are programs that maneuver through
cyber-space, bouncing off communication
protocols and operating systems.
• Me: did you know you are the
mother of all bots?
• Eliza: Does it please you to believe
I am the mother of all bots?
• Eliza is written is Lisp (an artificial
intelligence language) She could
carry out conversations
• Infiltrated chat rooms, avatar sites and
were often mistaken for humans
• In the early 1970’s, hopes ran rampant
for these bots, they were even
programmed to be psychiatrists.
• Some believed they had “real”
The Turing Test
• Can a robot think?
• The Turing test was designed to
test whether humans could detect
whether a bot had independent
intelligence, to date no bot has
passed the Turing test.
• Hunt the Wumpus was an
interactive online computer game.
• This made the wumpus one of the
• Some bots tend toward perverse and
• Some bots were designed specifically to
• Some early bots completely destroyed
early chat rooms.
• Mailbots are known to spam email
• Counterbots (or cancelbots) were
designed to counter-attack their efforts.
• Although we cant image the web
without search robots, the side
effects can be devastating on
• Counter bots were designed to
counter attack bot activity that can
bring down an entire site.