The Substitutes Quick Guide for utilizing SmartBoards
Substitute Guest Log in:
1) Turn on projector via remote or wall unit
2) Orient board—press two buttons together by eraser tray and press the center of each dot.
Students can help you with this.
3) Access Smart Lesson via teacher directions (email, tabs on bottom of screen, flash drive,
posted on AESOP)
4) Sound: Turn on amplification unit if sound is needed—black box near computer—adjust
line and channel buttons for volume
5) How to show videos: show DVD in computer or if attached unit you may need to press
button on remote or put in video mode on wall panel. A neighboring teacher or students
should be able to assist in this.
6) To access Smart Notebook software you may see a blue circle icon in tool bar in bottom
left hand corner or may have to go through start and programs to access Smart Notebook.
7) Do NOT use dry erase markers on the board—use only the Smart pens in the tray
located in the font of the SmartBoard.
Resources to Learn More about SmartBoards:
SmartTech: select category and arrow for posted materials—includes two minutes video tutorials
and written documents
Teacher’s Hub: Getting Started with your SmartBoard
Teacher’s Hub: The Notebook 10 software
Helpful Hints and Ideas
1) On the remotes you can use the “freeze” button to freeze what is on screen but then work
on the computer
2) To have a white space you can open up work or notebook and use pens. You can type on
screen using the A button on tool bar or convert written text in notebook by tapping on
middle of work and doing drop screen to recognize text.
3) The Smart Notebook software is loaded on all classroom machines to utilize prepared
lessons—if you are trying to open these lesson from AESOP links it will not work since
you don’t have the software on your home computer.
4) When all else fails ask the kids or a neighboring teacher to help