Industry: Key Issue 4
WHY ARE LOCATION FACTORS CHANGING?
1. What is the site factor that is dramatically changing in the 21st century?
2. What industry has been especially prominent in opening production in low
3. What was the textile industry’s major attraction to the Northeastern U.S.?
4. What opened in the 1950’s that allowed Southeastern Mills to easily reach
5. Why are Southeastern mills having a hard time competing in the textile
6. Although many companies outsource work to LDCs, what factory work
remains in MDCs?
7. What is the selective transfer of some jobs to LDCs called?
8. How does outsourcing contrast with vertical integration?
9. What is the Fordist approach and how did it get its name?
10. What are the three types of work rules that distinguish Fordist from Post-
11. Why does the computer manufacturing industry cluster together?
12. How does just-in-time delivery save manufacturers money?
13. What are the two kinds of disruptions that can result from reliance on just-