Give meaning and use the
following phrasal verbs in your
• Bear with: to tolerate – I bear with him a lot
through out he life.
• Carry on: to continue – he always carries
on his work
• Drop in: to visit casually: he sometimes
drops in to my office.
• Fall back on: to make use in emergency
• Hold forth: to speak at length
Match following p. v. with their
• Give out • 5 -To explode
• Lay off • 3 - To pay a short visit
• Call on • 1 -To announce
• Come across • 2 -To dismiss from
• Blow up work
• 4 - To meet by
Use appropriate p. v. for the
following underlined words:
• For giving a practical shape to his schemes, he
is relying upon ( count on ) me.
• The train started at very moderate (ease off )
• They thought that I would surrender ( give in
• The capital punishment must be abolished (do
away with ).
• We should not always postpone ( put off ) our
Change the voice
• He cut it. - It is cut by him.
• Do you know Mr. Vyas? – Is Mr. Vyas known to
• Please, get down from the bus. – Let from the
bus be got down.
• A poor boy was given a piece of bread. –
someone gave a piece of bread to a poor boy.
• Who broke the glass? – By whom was the glass
The form of the letter
• The address of the writer
• Receiver’s address
• Body of the letter
– First- second- third paragraph
– Complementary close
• 37, ‘vatsalya’
• Nr. Dobariyawadi
• Amarnagar Road
• JETPUR - 360370
• September 14, 2010
• 14th Sept. 2010
• Not needed for the social letter
• Two styles
– Indented style Chief Officer
• Chief officer Nagarpalika
Nagarpalika, Tinbatti Chock
Tinbatti Chock, JETPUR
• Dear friend/ brother/ sister/ sir,
• Respected sir/ father/ uncle/
• Intimate friend Aakash
Draft a letter as you request the bank manager for
opening an account for depositing scholarship
• Sub: request to open a saving account
• Dear Sir/ Madam,
• I am a student of Bosamia College, Jetpur.
Shortly I am going to receive a sum of money
as scholarship from the government of Gujarat.
We, the students receiving the scholarship, are
instructed to open an account in any
nationalized bank, so that our scholarship would
be deposited in the account.
• Therefore, I request you to open my saving
account in your reputed bank. I have enclosed a
letter of recommendation from our principal. I will
provide other necessary documents, if needed.
• Hope I shall get your response very soon in this
• Thank you.
Write a letter to the traffic control police to deploy a
permanent policeman at Sardar Chock of your
town to smoothen the traffic problem
Sub: Heavy traffic at Sardar Chock
we congratulate you for your excellent
performance within six months of arrival. You
have solved many traffic problems of Jetpur.
• We write this letter to you in connection of
the immediate need of deploying a
permanent policeman at Sardar Chock.
The place situated in the heart of the city,
usually remains crowded. Thousands of
people visit this area everyday.
• The frequent traffic jams are everyday
scenes followed by fights among people.
• Moreover, the pollution due to jams is
unbearable. This things become worse in
absence of a policeman who would naturally
control all these.
Sir, we are regular witness of the incidents. We
feel the situation is serious unless a regular
policeman is arranged for the area. We request
you to look in to the matter immediately and do
Hoping to get an early reply.