St. Joseph High School
Present: Arch McKay, Brad Lefebvre, Tina Bertsch, Joanne Lukash, Tracey McHardy, Stephanie
Kehrig, Marianne Taillon, Sharon Compton, Karen Pidskalny, Janice Williams.
Welcome & Prayer: Meeting chaired by Brad Lefebvre, with prayer led by Arch McKay.
Minutes: Motion to accept minutes of October meeting as printed by Joanne Lukash, seconded by
Principal’s Report: given by Arch McKay
1. Past Activities
- Fri. Oct. 10th – Staff retreat- prepared for by the staff themselves
Theme was “Rooted in Faith, Anchored Together”, held at Cedar Lodge in Blackstrap.
Combination of spiritual and team building activities – very positive response.
- Wed. Oct 22nd – Hair “Do” Fundraiser – raised over $11,000.00 for cancer awareness
Huge thank you to Mrs. Amy Nicholson-Kelly and her TGG
- Thurs. Oct. 23rd & Fri. Oct. 24th – Parent Teacher interviews – very busy, but very positive
- Wed. Oct. 29th – Grade 8 Neighborhood Elementary Schools Volleyball Tournament
Both boys and girls teams participated – Huge thank you to Mrs. Jacquie Harris for co-
ordinating and organizing. Very positive response from elementary schools.
- Wed. Nov. 5th – Gr. 9 Take a Student to Work – thanks to all parents who assisted in
making this day a success.
2. Upcoming Activities
- Thurs. Nov. 13th – Unifest
- Fri. Nov. 14th – Report cards distributed, and Gr. 11 retreat
- Tues. Nov. 18th – Gr. 10 retreat, & Grad/Aftergrad Parent meeting 7:00 PM in theatre
- Tues. Nov. 18th & Wed. Nov. 19th – Musical previews for elementary students
- Thurs. Nov. 20th – Sun. Nov. 23rd – Musical – “Beauty and the Beast” – Sold Out!
- Mon. Nov. 24th – 7:00 PM – GSCS Annual Meeting of Electors – St. Joe’s theatre. They are
asking principals to bring 2 people from the CSCC to go with them. Anyone interested is
invited. Discussion regarding simplifying the mission statement will be held.
- Thurs. Nov. 27th – 7:00 PM – Band & Choir Concert in the Theatre
- Wed. Dec. 3rd – Advent Penitential Celebration
- Fri. Dec. 5th – Newsletter distributed
- Wed. Dec. 10th – Advent Liturgical Celebration, and next PGG meeting
Senior girl’s volleyball – city champs – provincials in Balgonie this weekend
Senior boy’s volleyball – 2nd in the city – provincials in Estevan this weekend
Winter sports underway – curling, basketball, and wrestling
- Safe Schools Conference pamphlet received by the school – held in Meadow Lake April 1st
– 3rd, open to all CSCC members
- Fundraising – handbook received by the school
- Staff Information:
i. Administrative/Staff Connections – each teacher to prepare professional growth plans,
TGG connection and visits, classroom visits.
ii. Guardian Improvement Team (GIT) – school re-culturing – changing ideas about
teaching practices due to the changing world – need to keep up with advancing tech-
nology, e.g.: Smart boards.
iii. Learning Improvement Plan (LIP) – department contributions
- Annual Meeting of Electors
i. Mon. Nov. 24th – 7:00 PM @ St. Joe’s
ii. 2 representatives invited from each CSCC – Brad and Marianne volunteered to go
iii. Input into the school division’s new mission statement – usually interesting – find out
information and can ask questions about concerns you may have.
Treasurer’s Report: Given by Tracey McHardy. Current balance is $792.57
Tracey, Sharon & Brad will meet at the bank this week to change signing power.
Old Business: Guest speaker – Sue Foreman to speak about consequences re: driving
issues/infractions when student is on probation, also drinking & driving consequences. Joanne
Lukash will ask Sue when she would be available for an evening presentation. It was discussed that
it would be a good idea for the Gr. 9 & 10 students to hear this as well – possibly connect with
Klassen’s Driving School to see if the info could be presented to their classes. Also talked about
adding this info to school website to get even more exposure.
There are 2 bulletin boards across from the Guidance Counselors office dedicated to post-
secondary information. The counselors can help students with learning which scholarships are
available. A consideration was to have the counselors meet with parents, possibly at a presentation,
to discuss the changing learning needs, as well as how school curriculums/ university needs change.
Mr. McKay will talk to staff to get their input regarding credit requirements, and course options or
offerings. A discussion was held regarding the importance of having this information out to
parents/students before the students fill out their course selections for the next school year.
New Business: Student representatives from each TGG will be going to a workshop re: after grad
Next STJ PGG/CSCC Meeting: Wed. December 10th at 7:00 PM in the Home Ec room.
Meeting Adjourned: Joanne Lukash, seconded by Karen Pidskalny.