Long Term Substitute Guidelines
Administrators may contact the substitute about filling a long-term position for a teacher or
paraprofessional who has an extended absence of 15 or more days, or a school may have a position
vacancy. There is often an interview process involved, much like becoming an employee.
1. As a substitute who is working a long-term position, you are also set up with an employee
profile in addition to your substitute profile in the AESOP system. Your Employee logon
ID for AESOP is the same 10 digit phone number as your substitute profile.
2. Your Employee PIN is initially a zero plus the last four digits of your SSN (01234). You
may change either your substitute or employee pin at any time. You will get a notification
noting this information.
3. When you log in as an employee in AESOP and create an absence, AESOP notifies the
school that you are not going to be at your assignment for that day and calls for a
substitute for you. You will not be paid for the day(s) you do not work.
4. Lesson plans up to 2 weeks will be provided for you. You will be responsible for daily
lesson plans after the 2 week time span. Daily lesson plans will be done in accordance
with county specifications and following the teacher’s long range plans.
5. You will be responsible for grading quizzes, assignments, and tests. Grades are to be
entered into Power School (elementary and middle) or into the Grades Online (GO!) (high
school) grade books. You will need access to the teacher’s grade book and grading
policy. The Principal or Assistant Principal will help set up access to PowerSchool,
CCPS’ online grading software.
6. You will assume any duties assigned to the teacher for whom you are substituting (i.e.
bus duty, hallway monitoring, etc.) A list of these duties will be provided to you by the
7. Transition days with the teacher of record may be scheduled at the beginning and end of
your tenure as appropriate given the assignment.
8. You are responsible for making certain that the condition of the classroom or teaching
station is maintained.
9. You are responsible for communicating with parents regarding student progress,
behavior, etc. as needed.
10. E-mail address: All long-term substitutes will be assigned an e-mail address for Cecil
County Public Schools (first initial, middle initial and last name). If you work only one
long-term assignment, the e-mail address will be deleted at the end of the school year.
However, if you are a substitute that performs multiple long-terms, your e-mail address