Week 18 – Into a New Century – Ch 21 sec 4-5
1. What did the Supreme Court decide in Bush vs. Gore?
There was not enough time to conduct a manual recount that passed constitutional standards and
2. What caused the vote count controversy in Florida in the 2000 election?
There were clear and explicit ballot designs and voting results
There were different standards used to manually recount ballots
3. What were President Bush’s goals when he took office?
Deregulation of the telecommunications industry
Federal funding for the faith-based groups to run social service programs
New energy plan
Public school reform
4. How did the United States respond to the attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C.?
The government vowed to end terrorism and targeted al-Qaeda and the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and
citizens donated money and supplies
5. What factors contributed to the rise of Middle Eastern terrorist groups?
Increased contact with Western society
The growth of Islamic fundamentalism
Countries that provided terrorists with money, weapons, and training
6. List the reasons why President Bush declared war on Iraq.
Inspectors had found evidence of biological weapons
Iraq sponsored terrorism and had used chemical weapons
Inspectors had found evidence of nuclear bomb making
Week 9 of 10.
Week 18 – Into a New Century – Ch 21 sec 4-5 Page 1 6/15/12
The 9th and LAST
towards your FINAL.
Week 18 – Into a New Century – Ch 21 sec 4-5 Page 2 6/15/12