Students should be able to:-
• Suggest reasons why marriage may break
• Explain the effects of divorce on both
• Evaluate the Christian and Hindu views of
By the end of this lesson:
All will be able to suggest reasons
why divorce may occur.
Most will be able to compare
Christian and Hindu views on
Some will be able to evaluate the
potential results of divorce.
Why do people get divorced?
• In pairs discuss, and note down the reasons that
you think could lead to divorce
• Choose 3 of the reasons for divorce. Write a
paragraph for each, stating how and why these
things could lead to divorce
• As the whole class debate takes place, take a note
of any REASON that you have not already got.
• Now look at your full list of reasons which could lead
to divorce. Put them in order of the reasons you
think are most likely to lead to divorce at the top. At
the bottom should be the reason which you think
would least likely to lead to divorce
Why do people get divorced?
Pregnant Don’t want
when before Sexual
married marriage problems
Rushed into crime
Edward VIII & Wallis Simpson
Be King or marry
Prince Charles & Camilla
Married in 2005.
Charles can still
50 years ago:
• There were few divorces.
• Divorcees were looked down upon.
• Re-marriage was rare.
• 2 in 5 marriages end in divorce.
• Re-marriage is considered normal.
• In 1969 a new law made divorce cheaper and easier.
• More equality between the sexes.
• Women’s rights are respected.
• Women are more financially independent.
• People live longer and marriages can last longer.
• There are major disagreements among
Christians on the issue of divorce.
• Almost all Christians disapprove of
divorce because they believe that their
marriage vows were made in the
presence of God and He will guide and
help them to stay together until parted
Roman Catholic Church
• The RC Church does not allow divorce
1. Marriage involves promises witnessed by
God that can only be ended by death.
2. Jesus said that if people divorce and
re-marry, they are committing adultery.
• However RCs allow annulments if:
1. The marriage was not consummated.
2. One of the couple had been forced into
3. One of the couple was mentally unstable.
The Church of England
• The C of E disapproves of divorce, but accepts that
sometimes it is the lesser of two evils. Priests can
decide if they will re-marry divorcees.
• They believe that Jesus allowed divorce in Matthew
19:9. (“I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife,
except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries
another woman commits adultery.“)
• Christianity is about forgiving sins. If someone
makes a mistake and they repent, then they should
be given another chance.
• They believe it is better to divorce than live in
• Traditional Hindus don’t believe in divorce unless:
1. There is a case of cruelty.
2. The couple do not have children after 15 years.
• However, divorce is increasing, mainly due to
women gaining more rights and India becoming
• Some Hindus believe that a divorce should be
granted if a marriage has clearly failed, whatever
Why do some Hindus have
• Traditional Hindus have their attitude
1. It is the teaching of the Law of Manu
2. The householder stage of marriage is about
family and if no family results the couple
can’t complete that stage.
3. It affects both families badly.
• More liberal Hindus believe:
1. That the old laws are outdated.
2. Living in hatred produces bad karma.
Feelings about divorce
• Read the statements from Loneliness Jane
people who have recently
divorced. Guilt Julie
• Match up the feelings with
the persons name Happiness Annette
• Why do you think that
divorce can evoke so Relief Linda
many different feelings
and emotions? Anger Kevin
• Do you think a divorce Grief Derek
effects any other people,
other than the couple Mixed feelings James
• What can be done to help and confusion
a couple who are Regret Lucy
Using pages 76,77 & 80 in your textbook answer the following
questions as fully as possible in your books.
1. Explain three reasons why the RC church doesn’t
allow divorce or re-marriage.
2. How is a marriage dissolved in RC church?
3. Does the RC church allow legal separation?
4. What is an annulment? How can you get one?
5. Give 4 reasons why the C of E church allow divorce.
6. What does Mark 10 :10-12 say?
7. Why do traditional Hindus believe that there should
be no divorce?
8. What reasons do many other Hindus have for
9. What is your view on Divorce? Explain
• Look up the following Biblical passages and write
down what each one is saying in relation to the
issue of divorce.
• Deuteronomy 24 v1
• Mark 10 v6-12
• Matthew 19 v9
• “You need a religious ceremony to have a proper
Do you agree ? Give reasons for your opinion,
showing you have considered another point of view.
In your answer you should refer to at least one
religion. (4 marks)
Deuteronomy 24 v1
“Suppose a man marries a woman. But later he decides he
doesn’t like her. He finds something shameful about her.
So he gives her a letter of divorce and sends her away from
Mark 10 v9-12
“So a man must not separate what God has joined together.
When they were in the house again, the disciples asked
Jesus about this. He answered ‘What if a man divorces his
wife and gets married to another woman? He commits
adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and
gets married to another man? She commits adultery’”.
Matthew 19 v9
“Here is what I tell you. Anyone who divorces his wife and
gets married to another woman commits adultery. A Man
may divorce his wife only if she has not been faithful to him”.