BISHOP’S STORTFORD RUGBY FOOTBALL CLUB
MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
HELD AT THE CLUBHOUSE AT SILVER LEYS, BISHOP’S STORTFORD
ON MONDAY 11 April, 2011
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 1
Perry Oliver (PO), Len Lindop (LL), Russell Cattell (RC), Chris Byatt (CB)
Ros Lennon (RL), Peter Webb (PW), Julia Rontree (JR)
1. Apologies for Absence
Received from Peter Ainsworth (PA) and Steve Dunkley (SD)
2. Minutes of the Previous Meeting (held on 28th February 2011):
The minutes of the previous meeting held on 28th February 2011 were
discussed as a minor amendment had been requested on point 3h. The
amendment having been made and the minutes as a whole being approved
as a true record of the meeting by those present, were duly signed as such by
3. Matters Arising from the previous Executive Meeting:
a) Player reconciliation list – PW advised that the list was almost
complete after some clerical reconciliation. LL requested a final copy in
order to complete the CASC claim. Action: PW & LL
b) Herts Tag Festival celebrity – Complete
c) Catering- Tenders are currently being invited from the existing and
new catering companies. CB will provide LL with a list of desired menu
options to be considered by the companies tendering. Action: CB &
d) RFU Grand Draw-
Once again, BSRFC won the top prize for selling the most Grand Draw
tickets, thanks to the efforts of Ros Lennon.
After discussion it was agreed that the prize of a hospitality package at
Twickenham, worth approximately £700, would be raffled. Club
members only will be entitled to enter the raffle. Complete.
e) CRB – Complete.
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 2
f) VP Nominations - Members of the Exec were invited to nominate
candidates for VP status this year. Discussion took place regarding
the candidates proposed and it was concluded that the committee
would recommend at this year’s AGM that Dave Doherty is made a VP.
g) Team Photos for use in Programme – PO reiterated his request that
good quality team photographs be organised in order that they could be
placed regularly in the 1st XV match programmes during next season.
Action: CB, PW and PA
h) First Aid Training – JR will liaise with the First Aid training provider for
another set of date options for the next course for circulation to the
volunteers. Action: JR
i) Tag Tournament – Complete
j) Playing Budgets – Complete
k) Twitter Account – Outstanding. Action: SD
l) Newsletter Appeal – Reference work possibilities for overseas
players. RL will advise players of the opportunities her company can
offer. Action: RL
m) Carnival - Come Play Rugby – A BSRFC presence at the forthcoming
carnival will be utilised to invite new players to try the game and David
Rose (1st XV) will be asked to co-ordinate the arrangements with Matt
Wyatt. Senior players will be needed to support the Minis / youth
participants Action: CB
Gifts and advertising - PO asked LL for a budget allowance for
production of advertising flyers, balloons and gifts to be distributed by
club members at the carnival. LL approved.
Bar - Volunteers will be required to man the bar at the Festival. Action:
CB and PO
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 3
Application paperwork – will be needed to be completed by JR in
liaison with Matthew Wyatt. Action: JR
Stand – The outside bar caravan will be taken to the carnival pitch but
other tables and awnings may be needed to complete the stand.
n) Tag Sponsorship - Complete
o) Tag Volunteers – Complete
p) Container –PO appraised the Exec of the attempts to date to source
an additional container, so far without success. Outstanding. Action:
a. Budget 2011/12
LL produced a draft P&L report and forecast for presentation at the AGM. He
went through the major points in detail and answered questions from
members of the Exec.
In particular the following points were discussed in more detail:
Fireworks income – not included as weather dependant
Insurance Claim - A settlement of the insurance claim has finally been
achieved in the sum of c.£3k
Marquee – No income from the marquee has been forecast at this stage
whilst test events are being held to establish future use.
b. Subscription Rates:
The forecast for next year assumes a £5 increase on all subs, taken as part of
the donation element which will achieve an increase in revenue of £6.25 per
member after CASC adjustment. This would secure approximately £2.5k
overall increase on the budget.
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 4
General discussion took place regarding this proposal and after careful
consideration and a vote on each issue, it was agreed that the following
increases would be applied:
Mini and Colts - £5 – one member of the Exec voted against this proposal. It
was noted that this small increase was in acknowledgement of the substantial
contributions the Mini section makes in membership fees. The £5 increase
would be on the donation element for Mini memberships and on fee level for
Colts and Students who are not taxpayers and therefore not qualifying for
Youth - £10 - £5 each on fee and donation rates
Senior - £10 - £5 each on fee and donation rates - one member of the Exec
voted against this proposal
Social - £5
Senior & Mini combination £15
Multiple Children cap - £220
c. Director of Rugby Position:
PO led discussion on the need for a Director of Rugby to be appointed to act
as liaison between the 1st XV coach and the Executive Committee. PO
advised that he had canvassed the opinion of the Trustees in this matter and
received their support.
The criteria would be to find a BSRFC person of sufficient experience and
qualification at no cost. After analysis of possible members, 5 candidates had
been identified and approached. The best identified and available candidate
was prepared to consider the position but would need to balance this position
with his other Club responsibilities. It was agreed that as a temporary
measure it was agreed that any appointed Director of Rugby would not stand
in an Executive position.
It was agreed that the 1st XV Team Manager’s strategic responsibilities would
be moved to the DoR role
A proposed job description was circulated, discussed and agreed in principle.
The proposal was approved and will be raised at the forthcoming AGM for
endorsement and subsequent appointment by the Exec.
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 5
5. Marquee Update:
It was reported that a Marquee committee has been convened who are
working on proposals for approved caterers and hire cost levels. RL advised
that there would be an agreed price structure for all hirers with alternative fees
for charitable events.
Due to planning and licensing rules, a maximum of 28 events per year may be
held in the marquee, not including direct rugby club events.
6. Any other competent business:
a) Tag Festival – After the huge success of the recent Tag Festival and
the hugely positive unsolicited feedback, the Executive Committee
would like to formally note their thanks to Niall McCrae and his
committee of helpers
b) Redevelopment update - PO reported that a contract has been
agreed with Courtney Builders at a good price and that work will
commence on 9th May. PO highlighted that the completion of these
works will fully utilise all existing development funds.
c) Dinner Dance - the date has been confirmed as 10th June at a ticket
price of £45 per head. A licence extension will be sought until 1am.
d) Fixture Card Information – PO requested lists of achievements from
the section chairmen for highlighting in future programmes. Action:
e) Grand Draw Prize Raffle - See 3 (d) above.
f) Julie Wright – Physio - It has been confirmed that Julie Wright would
be resigning as 1st XV Physio at the close of the season. Thanks are
recorded for all her work for the team and it was agreed that she should
be invited to attend the final match lunch and be formally thanked and
presented with flowers.
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 6
g) Alternative to RF – CB advised that a new Rugby First system was to
be presented to the forthcoming HRFC Forum. PO advised that whilst
he would view any further information provided, he was not inclined to
abandon all the work invested in the current system, in particular
because of the access it gave to grants, international tickets, etc.
h) Hon. Secretary – JR announced her resignation from the post of Hon.
Secretary in order to be able to take more responsibility as Bar
Manager. Suggestions for a replacement were invited.
i) Clubman of the Year - Nominations for this award were invited and
discussion took place but a decision was deferred until the next
meeting by which time all committee members will have had time to
consider suitable candidates. Action: All
Date of Next Meeting
Monday 23rd May, 2011 at 7pm
Perry Oliver, Chairman.
Executive Committee Minutes 11 April, 2011 Page 7