Every Child Matters
SALFORD CHILDREN & YOUNG
PEOPLE’S PARTNERSHIP BOARD
REPORT OF OUR MEETING
22 March 2007
AT BUILE HILL BANQUETING SUITE
Salford Children & Young People’s Partnership Board Meeting
22nd March 2007 at the Buile Hill Banqueting Suite
People at the Meeting
Cllr John Warmisham - Chair
Julie Bloor - Head of Partnership and Development
Mark Cashin - GM Fire Services
Lesley Craven - Head of Youth Services
Paul Greenway - Assistant Director – Strategy &
Kevin Rowswell - Learning & Skills Council
Serena Rice - Non Executive (PCT)
Jean Rollinson - Housing Strategy
Chris Lysaught - Young persons rep, City 2000
David Hobbs - Connexions
Faith Mann -13/19 Service Directory/Volunteering
Lynn Braid - 13-19 Service Directory
Lydia Cummerson - Minutes Secretary
People who could not come to the meeting
Jill Baker - Children Services Directorate (CSD)
Eileen Buchan - Young People’s reps
Angie Buckley - Greater Manchester Probation
Mike Burrows - Chief Executive (PCT)
Alan Campbell - Director of Commissioning (PCT)
Michelle Ciffer - Parent Rep – Jewish Communities
Cath Connor - Children’s Champion
Louise Connor - Job Centre Plus
Peter Crompton - 13-19 Partnership
Chris Donlin - Young People’s Rep
Leo Giladi/Jon Faulkner - GM Police
Fiona Glover - Primary Head Rep
Tom Healey - Youth Offending Services
Emma James - Young People’s Rep – City 2000
Karen Llewellyn - Voluntary & Community Sector (NCH)
Michelle Morris - Professional Executive Committee (PCT)
Louise Murray - Voluntary & Community Sector (CVS)
Nigel Preston - Community Safety Unit
Nicola Ramsden - Voluntary & Community Sector (CVS)
June Readhead - Secondary Head Rep
Paul Woltman - Assistant Director, Inclusion (CSD)
Brian Wroe - Assistant Director , community Health
& Social Care (LA)
Cllr John Warmisham welcomed everybody to the meeting,
everybody introduced himself or herself and apologies were
received as above.
It was noted that a lot of apologies had been received. This was
due to the late change of date and venue.
2. Minutes of the Meeting held on 23rd January 2007.
People were happy that they were a correct record.
3. Matters arising (from previous meeting)
All action points were reviewed.
4. Standing Items:
1. Young people’s Feedback
Active involvement of children and young people
From the meeting on 23rd January 2007, young people had
presented to the Board a proposal on how they wished to
participate. They had also requested to go to a residential
weekend. Young people felt a weekend away was the best
proposal because it would bring them together as a team, they
would be able to work through the Youth Offer specifically and they
will be able to review how they report back to the CYPPB and
The Board recommended that young people and their reps had a
further discussion on exactly what was required and provide an
Young people said that:
They now have representation from five different groups from
across Salford. They are now working with Chris Donlin since
Lesley Shanks left.
They have had new members join the group recently and are
expecting two new members from the black & minority ethnic
They are coming together with their programme of work and are
What the Board means to them
Their roles and responsibilities
And how best to report information
They have also begun to look at the new Participation Strategy.
This involved a lot of activities related to participation and was
done in a fun way.
Young people have are also involved in a piece of work with
Hannah Peake, the participation worker. Hannah is doing a couple
of workshops with young people which will enable them to look at
creative activities which they can use to deliver what participation
means to them and to other people. These activities are delivered
in a fun way. The next workshop is scheduled for 3rd of April.
Next Steps for young people is to hold a training day at the Beacon
Centre on 10th April where they will look at A Youth Offer and to
finish off how they are going to present what participation means to
them and how they will deliver it.
Discussion/Comments from young people’s feedback
Lesley Craven said that funding for the away day has been
sourced from City 2000 but welcomed any other offers.
Young people will do a presentation to the board meeting in May.
Chris Lysaught suggested that one of the best ways to seek
representation is through youth clubs.
2. CYPPB – Agenda Setting
The Board agreed that it will look at how future agendas are
structured, and that young people will be involved in agenda
setting, and asked that young people discuss further how they
would want it structured. Paul asked whether they would like to
include activities to make meetings more interesting and
Action: Young People to inform the Board of their views at the
Jean Rollinson said that Housing and planning have not focused
consultation work specifically on young people but proposed that in
future they would like to seek their views in a better way.
Action: Jean Rollinson said she would send young people a
document, which will indicate where they are, and where they
would like to be.
5. The Children and Young Peoples Partnership Board – Next
1. Review of the support arrangements to the Board
Paul advised the Board that with the PCT re-structure, Julie
Bloor’s role will be changing from April 07 and it will not be
appropriate for Julie to continue with the responsibility for
managing the Board. Paul thanked Julie for the support and
advised that there is now a need to revisit how the Board will be
supported and asked peoples views on this:
Julie Bloor had had a conversation in this regard with Paul
Greenway and Cllr Warmisham and issues that became apparent
The lack of capacity
Development work of the Board is the next big step
The Board is still evolving and is not making decision, as it
should be doing.
Paul Greenway further said that there is budget from Local
Authority and PCT available to support the work of the Board.
2. Review of membership of the Board
Cllr John Warmisham made a note that over last few meetings,
there have been different people attending the Board meetings.
There is therefore a requirement to revisit the membership and
agree roles and responsibilities
David Hobbs said we need to consider the connection to other
3. Agree the work pattern 2007/08
The Board will look at specific work in a monthly format.
Targets will be reviewed in every meeting and they could be colour
coded to illustrate areas of concern – like traffic lights.
David Hobbs asked for clarification as to how the information
received by the Executive Group is fed to the Children and Young
People’s Partnership Board. Paul Greenway responded the Exec is
still at an evolving stage but the idea is that it will be the main link
with all other partnership groups.
6. Local Area Agreement (LAA)
Paul updated the board on the developments of the LAA. He said
that the Salford Agreement has been sent to the Government
Office for endorsement. The Board will need to start looking at how
to work with young people and how we can do things differently
e.g. working more with housing, regeneration etc.
7. Review of Children and Young People’s Plan
Paul informed the Board that we are required to review the
Children and Young People’s Plan this year a process has been
put in place to gather the appropriate information from a number of
services and managers.
The reviewed report is to be returned to OFSTED by 14th June.
Paul reported that there is no guidance as to the format of the
report, so it can be as short or as inclusive as we want.
Paul said that the report will likely have a main focus on Children’s
Services but he asked if people were in agreement to make it wider
to include all the positive things in the city.
Cllr Warmisham commented that we have lots of positive things we
are doing for young people and we need to share this.
Paul said that the main question to ask is whether we have made
young people’s lives better and what do we do next.
Paul asked Lesley Craven to arrange for Paul to meet with 10
Action: Lesley to arrange
8. 13-19 Service Directory
After the introduction of the above at the January 07 Board
meeting, Faith Mann was asked to come back to us to show us
how the Directory has developed.
Lynn Braid talked the Board through the new website -
The directory will be live from April/May and officially launched in
the summer. Board members will be advised of the website
address when finalised.
Faith advised that the DfeS has granted funds for this year and
next year but there is no indication for continuation after 2007/08,
and that there is need to look at the administration of the website
Faith asked for endorsement of the website by the Board, and said
that the website will be kept under review. The Board agreed and
endorsed the website.
9. Youth Volunteering Strategy
A paper was circulated for information regarding the development
of a youth volunteering in Salford, seeking endorsement of the
Faith said that there is poor uptake of volunteering work by young
people in Salford and the Strategy hopes to help overcome this, by
providing volunteering opportunities.
Action: The Board agreed for comments to be sent to Faith.
Faith will be invited to a future CYPP Board to advise us of
10. Clapper Board Project- A document was circulated by Mark
Cashin to inform the Board of this innovative project taking place in
partnership with Clapperboard youth project, Greater Manchester
Fire and Rescue service and the Film Industry.
The project aims to work with school children aged 13-16 from
areas of deprivation. The project aims to produce a series of short
films with community safety and/or crime and disorder as the
Mark said that it has had positive response and young people from
Buile Hill, and Harrop Fold have been involved.
The Greater Manchester fire services are funding it and if it is
successful they are committed to funding it next year.
The Board endorsed the project.
Capital Feasibility Study -LSC
Kevin Rowswell told the meeting about an LSC study which is
looking into the ways in which post 16 learning in Salford may
change in the future. The study will look at what type of facilities
and programmes should be available to meet the needs of
Kevin said that he felt it would be appropriate for the Young People
of the Board to be consulted and asked the Board for Permission to
propose this to the consultants undertaking the study. The Board
welcomed and agreed to the proposal.
12. Date and time of next meeting
Next meeting will be on 29TH May 2007, 4:30-6.30PM at The