City of St. Michael Park Board
January 28, 2004
Call to Order/Roll Call (7:00 P.M.)
Eull called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m. Members Present: Lorann Eull, Jean Posthumus,
Ruth Kremer, Joe Barbeln and Eugene Molitor. Also present were Mayor Kessler, Community
Development Director Marc Weigle and Deputy Clerk Linda Lane.
Weigle added BMX schedule and Greninger added AAU Baseball, Baseball/softball Rules and
Regulations and Baseball/softball Tournament Policy to the agenda. Since a number of
representatives were present, the Park Board moved the Shelter and Baseball/Hockey discussions
to the beginning of the agenda. Moved by Kremer, seconded by Posthumus, to approve the
amended agenda. Motion carried unanimously.
Approval of Minutes of January 6, 2004
Moved by Posthumus, seconded by Molitor, to approve the minutes of January 6, 2004. Motion
Wayne Kessler asked for introductions from everyone present.
STMA Middle School Shelter (Discussion with Baseball, Soccer, Hockey, Albertville, ISD
Weigle mentioned that over the past year, ISD #885 and the cities of Albertville and St. Michael
have discussed constructing a shelter/concession building at the St. Michael Middle School and
Big Woods Elementary school campus. He said ISD #885 set aside a central area for this
building in its site plan (enclosed in the packet) and this past year installed sewer and water lines
to the site. He pointed out on a map where the location of the shelter would be. Weigle said this
meeting was intended to spark informal discussion before moving forward. Certainly additional
people that are interested could participate, as it was mentioned that softball and soccer were not
aware of the meeting. The City wants to see what the interest level is concerning the shelter and
to discuss the possibility of outdoor hockey rinks in the same location sharing the shelter. Weigle
mentioned the Park Board in St. Michael had set aside some monies towards the shelter, but not
the entire amount. He questioned what some of the other groups would be willing to invest as far
as labor or funds. Timing was discussed – complete the design this year with construction late
’04 or 2005. Weigle suggested setting up another meeting in the near future, which is not a Park
Board meeting night, to continue discussions. He opened it up for additional thoughts. Joe
Hagerty said the whole idea for a shelter started with a joint meeting between the school and the
cities of Albertville and St. Michael. He felt that with the school providing all the fields, it would
seem feasible that the cities and other groups would look at doing their share to construct the
shelter. Hagerty spoke concerning the new City of Becker shelter that the Baseball Association
in that area had spearheaded. He felt a shelter would be nice for both communities, and after the
initial cost to have it constructed, the STMA School District would maintain. There was brief
discussion concerning the football shelter that was put up quite some time ago as to what the cost
would be for a building like this. There was a suggestion concerning looking at some donated
labor. Kessler asked if there was anything structurally they would change. There was a question
as to putting a concession area in the shelter and if it could be made vandal proof. Molitor asked
concerning the irrigation and Terry Zerwas said all the fields would be irrigated. There was also
discussion concerning putting two skate rinks and a pleasure skating area near the shelter to
utilize the area year-round. This would possibly mean giving up one of the soccer fields.
Park Board – 1-28-04 - 2
Greninger mentioned the rinks in St. Michael and Albertville and how much they both are being
used. Weigle said the other reason for adding hockey/skating is its proximity to the schools
where kids could stick around and skate right after school. There was a question as to if the
soccer fields had been graded and seeded and Terry said no not yet. Greninger said it would be
nice to get more pleasure skating rinks, but the need for soccer fields is also growing. Kremer
said we may need to crunch the numbers and see where the biggest need is. She said hockey is
definitely in need of more rinks. It was a consensus that companies and/or individuals putting in
volunteer time and/or money could be recognized with a plaque. Question as to the cost and size
of a shelter being looked at – a figure of $100,000 was thrown out, although some thought that
would probably be low. There was also a suggestion of having an area where people could sit
down and there would just need to be an overhang. Barbeln suggested having someone come up
with some designs and put some numbers together. He asked if Earl Bauman’s students who
were present would like to come up with a few ideas and come back to another meeting with a
few to choose from. Greninger indicated that issues such as who runs the concession stand would
need to be addressed. Terry Zerwas said the school district would be in charge of cleaning, but
someone else would have to stock and run the concession stand. Greninger said she has trouble
finding people willing to commit to keeping it supplied and someone to work it. Kremer asked if
it could be split up between the organizations using it at that particular time period. It seemed to
be the consensus of the group that it is a good location and has a variety of possible uses but that
a number of issues would need to be worked out. The following are the next steps to take:
Evaluate alternative designs based on function and cost
Fund raising – have cities look at budgets and identify amounts that each could commit
to (initially thought by each City to be $25-50,000 each)
Associations begin fundraising and labor/material donation efforts to supplement City
Cooperative Agreement to specify uses and responsibilities – costs, tournaments,
scheduling, maintenance, repairs, concessions, etc.
Weigle asked if the people present would be willing to meet again and asked Earl Bauman when
he felt the students from his architectural class would be ready with some designs to choose
from. Bauman said with a class effort, he felt the students could come up with a few choices in a
couple of weeks. He also felt that since the students would be working on the design of the
shelter, they would make sure that vandalism amongst their piers was not a problem. Leroy
Berning, Albertville, said they would like to run it by their Park Committee and Council, but the
first part of March would be good for them. After brief discussion, a consensus was reached to
schedule a meeting for Wednesday, March 10th @ 6:00 p.m., St. Michael City Hall to narrow
down the design and discuss funding ideas. Zerwas also mentioned portable walls and temporary
panels as another option.
Field Activity Fees
Greninger mentioned there was a new team (mostly age 13), which had split off from the Youth
Baseball Association called the AAU. The AAU recently approached Greninger concerning the
need for two practice nights and one game night each week for their team. She said all other
organizations had field requests in earlier and she already has evenings filled with other teams
and wondered how the Park Board wanted her to handle this new team. Discussion concerning if
the AAU team was a duplication of something that is already in place in St. Michael and where
they should be placed on a priority listing. Weigle said it is more of a policy question as to what
the City should do when more organizations start requesting field time. Eull said she felt more of
the fields need to be utilized on the weekends. Greninger went over the list of priority scheduling
and the numbers for each. She already has scheduled two time slots for each team, seven days a
Park Board – 1-28-04 - 3
week. Greninger asked if there needs to be a policy in place and who makes the call on which
teams get the priority. Park Board felt they should get the same privilege as Youth Baseball –
one practice night and one game night, Monday thru Thursday. Greninger briefly went over the
draft Policy she handed out before the meeting. Some of the main issues in the policy were:
Tournament charges - $75.00 per field, per day.
If the lights are used an additional charge of $15.00 per field, per game.
Tournament fees due prior to the tournament.
Deposit in advance, which will be returned after tournament.
Greninger asked the Park Board to review and bring back any change suggestions to the next
Park Board meeting. Kremer said she felt additional verbage should be added that the deposit
would not be returned if parts of the policy are not followed. Greninger to offer the AAU one
game night and one practice night Mon-Thurs and another practice slot on Friday through
Sunday. Park Board will review again next year.
Youth Baseball Scoreboards
Greninger had a request from the baseball groups which she met with to see if there was a
possibility of getting scoreboards for Fields 2 and 3. There is a regional tournament scheduled -
5-7 days with 14 teams involved this July. They will be using Lower Rec fields two and three
and would like to work with the Park Board to have small scoreboards installed on those fields.
They did some preliminary searching and have found remote scoreboards for under $2,000, not
including installation. They wanted permission from the Park Board to pursue, possibly some
financial help, and work with Public Works on installation issues. The Park Board directed staff
to look into further and place on the next agenda.
Hockey Arena – Locker Room Addition
Weigle mentioned that the Park Board members who were at the last meeting discussed the new
locker room addition and had a number of questions related to expansion capability of the
existing site, open skate hours and usage, hockey participation, costs, timing, etc. Hockey
Association representatives were present to lend information concerning the locker room
addition and the plans for the future. Some of the issues discussed are as follows:
Difficult to hold a regional tournament because of the undersized locker rooms.
No place for girls to change (some of the boys teams have girl players).
They went over the numbers of kids and families involved - ice space is being spread to
Buffalo because of the lack of ice space.
Participation has grown immensely and it is being used from the time school is out until
10:00 p.m., and then the men’s leagues until midnight.
Approximately 630 families come in for tournaments for the winter.
Three fourths of the kids involved are from St. Michael and the other one fourth from
$546,000 is the cost of the locker rooms if they hired everything out, but the hockey
association is looking at fund raising from local industries and businesses in town and
some donated time.
If the locker rooms do not get put in, the association feels they will lose the tournaments
to the surrounding towns, which are a big part of what makes them financially viable.
The locker rooms will be built to utilize more space - a level above for meeting rooms is
planned for the future and a hall down the outside to make it easy to add on more locker
rooms in the future when a second rink gets added.
Two phases planned which could be tied together – phase one is the locker rooms and
phase two another rink.
Park Board – 1-28-04 - 4
Association will raise $150,000 and would like $100,000 each from the three entities
using the facility - St. Michael, Albertville and the School.
They also spoke concerning what phase two, the second sheet of ice, might be used for –
hockey, batting cages, a walking track, etc.
Open skate Saturday and Sunday – noon to two, and open skate during the day for pre-
school kids – can check stmahockey.org to see the schedule.
The Park Board indicated that they were surprised by the request last month and did not have
anything in its current 5-year budget. Weigle said that what happens with the Town Center
project, and how many units they actually plat, will help determine if the Park Board has funds
for this type of venture. In 2006 and 2007 the Park Board will likely have better cash flows. The
Park Board said they need to digest the information and get back to the hockey association. The
association was asked when they need an answer as to what size of donation the Park Board is
able to give. They said their fundraising will start in February, but the people giving time and
money want to see the cities backing the project. The Park Board thanked them for coming and
said they would have an answer for them in the near future.
Frisbee Golf at Beebe Lake County Park
Weigle mentioned that Marc Mattice, Wright County Park Director, recently inquired whether
St. Michael would be interested in participating in a project to install a Frisbee Golf Course at
Beebe Lake County Park. Mattice said the total cost is estimated to be $9-10,000, plus labor.
Weigle said he told him that the Park Board had discussed frisbee golf in the past, and would
discuss whether it would like to participate. The biggest drawback, Weigle said, is the location,
but since it is a relatively low cost and would not take up room in an existing City Park, he
wanted the Park Board members to at least think about the idea. Consensus from the Park Board
was the potential lack of funds, but they wanted to visit the site and have more time to think
The Park Board discussed the scheduling conflict with adult softball that has occurred since
BMX was moved. Last year it was determined by the City’s loss control representative that the
situation did increase its liability. The Park Board determined that fencing/screening options
were not an appropriate or cost-effective solution at this location. After discussion, the Park
Board directed staff to inform BMX that it must change nights from Thursday to any other night.
Election of Chair and Vice-chair
Park Board members Kremer/Posthumus nominated Lorann Eull to be Chair for 2004.
Additional nominations were called for three times. There being none, Lorann Eull was elected
Chair for 2004. Park Board Members Posthumus/Eull nominated Ruth Kremer to be Vice Chair
for 2004. Additional nominations were called for three times. There being none, Kremer will act
as Vice Chair for 2004.
City Council Minutes – December 23rd
Moved by Barbeln, seconded by Posthumus, to adjourn the meeting at 9:45 p.m. Motion carried
Linda Lane, Deputy Clerk