1950’s Scavenger Hunt
Click on the bold face scavenger hunt words to the 1950s Internet Scavenger Hunt.
You’ll need to read this page carefully and follow the directions each question gives you
about the 1950s postwar era.
1. I Like Ike! The President during the 50s was __________________.
2. Two hit TV shows mentioned on the site are __________________ and
3. Three new words that appeared in everyday vocabulary of the 50s were
_____________, ____________ & ____________.
4. Read info under The Korean War: The Pool of Remembrance at the Memorial is
dedicated to how many men and women Americans who lost their lives in the Korean
War? (Clink on Korean War in the Bold Letters on this question) Read the information
on the website
The first successful U.S. Earth satellite, Explorer 1, was launched January 31,
1958. The second, Vanguard 1, was launched March 17, 1958. The National Aeronautics
and Space Administration (NASA) were formally established October 1, 1958.
5. What was that discovery? (Go to National Air & Space Museum home page at
http://www.nasm.si.edu then type in Explorer 1 in Advanced Search box in upper right,
Select #1) Click on Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Read info
6. Read info under Polio Vaccine: Use the History of Polio website at
http://www.cloudnet.com/~edrbsass/poliotimeline.htm or Google for History of Polio
A. What is polio?
B. Which American president contracted polio and was paralyzed?
C. By 1952, how many Americans had polio?
Salk's vaccine was released in 1955.
D. By 1964, only ______ cases of polio were reported.
E. In 1988, there were _____________ cases of polio reported worldwide when the
World Health Organization passed a resolution to eliminate or eradicate polio by the year
F. By 2004, there were only ________ reported cases of polio in the world, with a 2005
outbreak in the countries of _________ and ________.
7. Read info under The Dr. Seuss Biography. What was Dr. Seuss real name? What was
the title of his first book?
8. Read info under Elvis and his Cadillac’s: What was the last car that Elvis
A. 1954 Cadillac B. 1977 Cadillac Seville C. 1956 Cadillac D. 1967 Cadillac
9. Read info under Desegregating Public Schools: Click on the links provided
(http://brownvboard.org/), Under Brown Foundation put your curser Brown v. Board
National Park, scroll down and click on Brown sites in Topeka. . Write the number on the
map that corresponds to each of the following historic locations:
_____ a. Sumner School -- the school nearest Linda Carol Brown's home, which she
wasn't allowed to attend.
_____ b. Monroe School -- the school for African American children that Linda Carol
Brown was forced to attend.
_____ c. The Brown family's home.
_____ d. The law offices of Scott, Scott, Scott, and Jackson -- the Brown family's
_____ e. The Federal Court Building where the case was heard (now a post office).
10. Read the info under Drive in Movies: The first drive-in was built on the East Coast
of the United States in 1933. Where was that drive-in AND how much was admission?
(Google for First Drive in Theater or go to
11. Rock ‘n Roll (Click on the link Rock ‘n’ Roll, Scroll down to the middle of the
page. In the section that says All Rock Hall Inductees, Type in the names of the
entertainer’s below.): In What year were these entertainers inducted into the Rock ‘n’
Roll hall of fame? 1. Elvis Presley _______ 2. Little Richard__________ 3. Chuck
4. The Supremes ____________
I Love Lucy (1951-1957) was one of the most popular shows in TV history. Lucille Ball
starred as a zany homemaker trying to break into show business. Her real-life husband,
Desi Arnaz, costarred as her bandleader husband.
12. In Episode 2 of I Love Lucy (October 10, 1951), Lucy and Ethel want to celebrate the
Mertzes' wedding anniversary at a night club. Where do Ricky and Fred want to go?
Click on the Website provided, click on Episode Guide on Menu at top of page. Where
do Ricky and Fred want to go in the October 15th episode?