Session Brief: Thursday, 14 July 2011, Session 4.2
Controlling Counterfeit Medicines in Nigeria
Speaker: Michael R. Reich
Purpose: To provide participants with an opportunity to develop an explicit
regulatory strategy as an exercise in pharmaceutical sector reform
♦ Participants will discuss the case in small groups
♦ Each group will develop a list of three interventions the new director
should do and three she should not do
♦ The views of the various small groups will be shared with, and discussed
with, the large group as a whole
Reading: Case: Counterfeit Medicines in Nigeria
1. Why did the government of Nigeria decide to act aggressively on counterfeit
medicines at this time?
2. What advantages did the new leader of the agency have?
3. What particular difficulties did she confront?
4. What should her regulatory strategy be? What should she do first and why?
5. Where else should she focus her efforts?
6. How can she increase the “regulatory legitimacy” of her agency?