a graphic essay
Getting to the Heart of the Matter
• For this assignment, you will be getting to the heart of
Hamlet, by creating a graphic essay.
• You will decide on a theme or idea based on the topic of
"the significance of an individual's
attempt to live unconstrained by
convention or circumstance" that is
presented throughout the play.
• You will illustrate your thesis statement through
quotations, statements and graphics. These three
elements will be combined to create your graphic essay.
The Graphic Essay
Page One - the graphic essay
1. Write out your thesis statement. It will appear at the very top of your
2. Create a table consisting of five columns and three rows.
3. Choose 5 quotations from the play that are vital in developing theme,
revealing character or furthering plot. Each will appear in separate boxes
at the top of the page. Each quotation should be limited to two
lines. One quote from each act.
4. Write five general statements of your own regarding the theme,
character or plot. Each should appear in separate boxes at the bottom of
5. Create a graphic presentation which illustrates or extends the quotations
and statements. Choose five gifs which will appear in separate boxes in
the middle of the page.
Page Two - the explanation
In a series of connected paragraphs, explain the significance of the
quotations, statements and graphics you have presented. How is each
one related to the thesis statement presented at the top of your graphic
essay? Your explanation is limited to only ONE page!!!
The Character of a Leader Affects the Character of Those who are Led
Write a theme based on the topic of the significance of an
individual’s attempt to live unconstrained by convention or
circumstance that is presented throughout the play.
• In other words, what
idea does Shakespeare
suggest regarding the Act 1 Act 2 Act 3 Act 4 Act 5
significance of an quote quote quote quote quote
individual’s attempt to
live unconstrained by Act 1 Act 2 Act 3 Act 4 Act 5
circumstance? graphic graphic graphic graphic graphic
• This theme must be Act 1 Act 2 Act 3 Act 4 Act 5
found throughout the statmnt statmnt statmnt statmnt statmnt
play, as each of the five
columns in your graphic
essay will contain ONE
BRIEF quote from EACH
of Acts 1-5.
The idea Shakespeare suggests regarding
the significance of an individual’s attempt to live
unconstrained by convention or circumstance
is THAT . . .