What do you know about basketball?
• What are the different ways that you can pass a
• How many players can be on the court at one
time for one team?
• Can basketball be played year round?
History of basketball
• Dr. James Naismith is known world-wide
as the inventor of basketball.
• Basketball was founded in Springfield,
Massachusetts, USA in 1891.
• He devised a set of thirteen rules of
Key Terms the
• Dribbling – Bouncing the ball with one hand using
your fingertips instead of your palm so that it
rebounds back to yourself. (the only way to move
with the ball)
• Passing - Moving the ball by throwing, bouncing,
handing, or rolling it to another player.
• Shooting- Throwing the ball to make a basket.
• Rebounding- The recovering of a shot that bounces
off the backboard or the rim.
What Did he Say again?
• Air ball - a shot that completely misses the rim
and the backboard.
• Assist- a pass to a teammate who then scores a
• Defense- the team without the ball trying to stop
the other team with the ball from scoring they
are called offense.
• Fast break -dribbling or passing the ball towards
your basket before the defense can set up.
• Turn over - any loss of the ball without a shot
• Shooting skills
3-point shot 3
for ME I made a
• 2 point field goal - a shot made from
anywhere during play inside the 3pt arc.
• 3 point field goal - a shot made from any
where outside the 3pt arc.
• Free throw - 1 point is awarded to an
unguarded shot taken from behind the free
throw line while the clock is stopped.
Activity's we will play
• Dribbling relays
• Passing relays
• Shooting games
Around the World
Beat The clock
2 on 2 & 4 on 4 Pick up Games
What Kind Of Pass is Being shown in the animation below?
(a) Chest pass (b) Bounce pass (c) Baseball pass (d) over head pass
What Kind of pass is in the animation shown below?
(a) Chest pass (b) Bounce pass (c) Baseball pass (d) Over head pass
Rules of Basketball
• Traveling- moving illegally with the ball.
• Three seconds - An offensive player
remains in the key. (Free throw lane is the
area under the basket) for more than 3
• Double Dribble- A player dribbles the ball
with both hands at the same time or they
stop and then start dribbling again.
• What are the three skills that we went over
in this lesson?
• How many different ways can you shoot a
• Name one professional basketball team?
Also, Name one player that is on the