Lab Safety Test
Part A: For each of the following statements, decide if the statement is
true or false. If the statement is false or needs conditions to make it true
give further information.
1. You should keep clothing and unnecessary books off lab benches.
2. Long hair and clothing (such as loose sleeves) are allowed to be
worn when doing a lab.
3. When heating material in test tubes, point them away from people.
4. You can eat while doing a lab.
5. You can do a lab reading each step as you are about to do it.
6. You should put hot water on a burn.
7. All liquids can be disposed of by putting them down the drain.
8. If you get chemicals on your hands, rub your eyes
9. Wipe up spilled liquids with paper towel if your teacher tells you it
10.Poisons can enter the body only through the mouth.
11.When pouring liquids, the label of the bottle should be in your
12.You can hold test tubes close to your face to observe reactions
13.Double check labels before using a chemical.
14.It is ok to walk away from a bunsen burner when it is not actually
15.When heating liquids using a ring stand and a Bunsen burner, the
beaker should have a wire pad under it.
16.Unused chemicals can be put back in their supply bottles.
Part B: State when each of the following would be used.
1. Fire blanket 4. Broken glass container
2. Eye wash station 5. Fume cupboard
3. Emergency shower 6. Main gas shut off
Part C: Answer the following …
1. Why should you give your teacher complete attention when
listening to instructions?
2. List three important facts to consider when you are working with a
3. What should you do if your body comes in contact with a chemical
4. If a fire occurs:
a) Tell __________________.
b) Shut off _______________.
c) Pull the _______________ so that everyone in the
school is aware of the fire.
d) Avoid breathing in _______________.
e) Do not place _____________ on the fire.
f) Follow fire drill procedure.
ALL LAB EQUIPMENT STAYS IN THE LAB AND AVOID DOING
EXPERIMENTS AT HOME, UNLESS SUPERVISED BY A PARENT!