SUPREME COURT ASSIGNMENT
Due: Thursday, January 12, 2012 (R Day)
Friday, January 13, 2012 (W Day)
1. Summarize the Case & Constitutional Issue(s).
2. Briefly describe the Chief Justice’s judicial philosophy.
3. Establish a historical context for the case.
4. Summarize a case leading up to your case and a case that resulted from your case.
Discuss how the 3 cases are intertwined.
5. Summarize the majority & dissenting opinions (copies of majority & dissenting opinions
should be STAPLED to your assignment)
6. Annotate the majority opinion (comment on 7-9 ideas from the opinion)
7. What is your reaction to the ruling?
8. How does each case impact the scope, role and responsibility of the government &
A. We will meet in the Library & Computer Lab on Thurs. 1/5 & Mon. 1/9 (W Day) & Fri 1/6
& Tues 1/10 (R Day) to allow you an opportunity to research your Supreme Court Case.
B. This will be the last major grade for the 2nd quarter.
C. You may organize your paper according to the sections listed above. Each section should
be approximately a paragraph in length (10-15 sentences), except section #6. For
section 6 your ideas should be clearly labeled or numbered on your copy of the opinion
and then discussed in your paper.
D. Please let me know which case you choose because duplicates will not be permitted.
Cases will be assigned on a 1st come, 1st serve basis.
E. There is a list of cases on the back. These cases were specifically selected because they
complement the AP US Government & Politics curriculum.
SUPREME COURT CASES
1. Meyer v. Nebraska (1923) 20. Barron v. Baltimore (1883)
2. Gitlow v. NY (1925) 21. Baker v. Carr (1962)
3. West Virginia v Barnette (1943) 22. Bob Jones University v. US (1983)
4. Wisconsin v. Yoder (1972) 23. Buckley v. Valeo (1976)
5. Everson v. Board of Education (1947) 24. Clinton v. City of New York (1998)
6. Dickerson v. United States (2000) 25. Engle v. Vitale (1962)
7. Maryland v. Craig (1990) 26. Griswold v. Connecticut (1965)
8. Robinson v. California (1962) 27. Hazelwood School District v. Kuhlmeier
9. Gregg v. Georgia (1976) (1988)
10. Thompson v. Oklahoma (1988) 28. Texas v. Johnson (1989)
11. Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992) 29. Lau v. Nichols (1974)
12. Cruzan v, Missouri Department of 30. Lemon v. Kurtzman (1971)
Health (1990) 31. Near v. Minnesota (1931)
13. Presser v. Illinois (1886) 32. New York Times v. Sullivan (1964)
14. Kelo v. New London (2005) 33. San Antonio Independent School District
15. Veronia v. Acton (1995) v. Rodriquez (1972)
16. Heart of Atlanta Motel v. US (1964) 34. Schenck v. United States (1919)
17. Yates v. United States (1857) 35. Miller v. Johnson (1995)
18. Palko v. CT (1937) 36. Gibbons v. Ogden (1824)
19. US. E.C. Knight (1895)