Outline for Cross Examination Style Debate
Go to this site for an outline chart and tips
Outline of a Debate
Speech Time Purpose
1AC 8 min • Establish affirmative advocacy of resolution. Prewritten speech.
• There is a problem that could be solved (significance, harms).
• The status quo is not going to solve this problem (inherency).
• Give a specific proposal of what ought to be done (plan).
• Show that the plan will solve the problem (solvency).
CX 3 min • 2N Cross-examines 1A.
• Ask questions to clarify their arguments.
• Ask questions to set up our arguments to come.
• Be polite.
1NC 8 min • Attacks affirmative and begins laying out additional issues.
• Make arguments against the specifics of the case (case
• Argue that if the plan is adopted bad things will happen
• Argue that the fundamental assumptions of the affirmative team
are flawed (critique).
• Argue that the plan is not a representation of the topic
• Argue that there would be a better alternative to the plan
CX 3 min • 1A cross-examines 1N.
2AC 8 min • Defend affirmative positions, attack negative positions, last
chance to introduce new issues for the affirmative.
• Argue that the disadvantages are really reasons to vote
• Argue that the counterplan and the affirmative plan can co-exist
CX 3min. • First negative cross-examines second affirmative.
2NC 8 min • Attack affirmative positions; defend negative positions.
• Last chance to introduce new issues for the negative.
• 2NC and 1NR should cover different issues (division of labor).
CX 3 min • 2A cross-examines 2N.
1NR 4 min • Attack affirmative positions.
• Defend negative positions
1AR 4 min • Answer all negative issues.
• Defend all positions.
2NR 4 min • Weight the issues.
2AR 4 min • Weight the issues.